Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I haven't used my Buick for 10 months and decided to give it a test today (start it and pump the brakes a bit). When I pressed the brake it went slowly to the floor, and only returned slightly. Then when I revved the accelerator it moved with the revs. So I checked the master cylinder (this car has power brakes btw) and there was basically no fluid, just a dribble. So I filled it up, but I cannot understand why the brake fluid disappeared within 10 months, and I can't see any leaks. Also, would this cause any problems now that I've pumped the brakes with no fluid in around the system. Cheers Andy.

·
Registered
639 Posts
hi andy have you checked for leaks under each wheel....do you have a leaky cylinder....?
or check the brake pedal itself or carpet below it for dampness......
that fluids gone somewhere...
if you cant see any ...it may be the servo..it might be filing up with fluid or it can even get sucked through the engine to come out as white smoke...(even when the engines hot it may 'steam')
lots more checks to do then......
good luck
neil

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, I checked each wheel and there was only a slight leak on the rear passenger side, but it didn't look like enough to drain all the brake fluid. The carpet looks dry. Would there be any lasting or serious damage if it did get sucked through the engine? As there was some slight smoke, but I thought it could be the choke because it wasn't running for long (only about 2 minutes). Cheers Andy

·
Registered
639 Posts
andy,
it wont cause any probs going through the engine...short term..
but i'd check the wet wheel ,take the wheel off and get a good look ,i hope its from there,as its much easier to rectify,
otherwise its strip the servo to look for fluid -its gone somewhere.....

·
Heavy Oiler
2,504 Posts
Agreed. It certainly needs sorting before you use it.
That drum with the leak has probably got brake shoes soaked in fluid, so would be next to useless.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.