Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The trailer had suffered from the dreaded rear separation (probably due to leaks in the bath and shower area) so the whole floor had to come up.
The 48yr old chassis is in surprisingly good condition and with only minimal welding (again mainly around the bathroom area) it cleaned up very nice. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Due to the original axle been bent, i fabricated a new custom axle using Knott auto-reverse hubs and Bradley brake and cable fittings. This also got round having to install an electric brake controller which is needed to use the original US magnetic braking system.

By using 14inch rims and tyres and repositioning and refabricating the axle mounts i have managed to lower it around 4.5 inch which has made it a far more 'towbar friendly' riding height.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A Bradley over-run UK spec coupling and new heavy duty jockey wheel has also been fitted to the modified and strengthened A-frame.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How far are you on with this ?

Keep it coming:tup:
Its been in the workshop for just over a month Henry, all the chassis, running gear, flooring etc is now sorted and I am about 20hrs (30%) into polishing and straightening her.
To be honest I have only just found this site through a friend, otherwise would have started the thread a month back.

·
Super Moderator
7,391 Posts
Are you going to replicate the original interior or go with your own ideas ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The hardwood exterior plywood flooring is now complete, bolted as per the original build using over 200 coach bolts to secure the flooring and body to the chassis!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are you going to replicate the original interior or go with your own ideas ?
Not sure at the moment Evil, the original was dated but functional with the rear 'wet room' design.
I have kept all that was salvageable, which was mainly just the corner bath and a couple of sinks but I will probably end up putting them on Ebay to be honest and go with something completely new.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The interior panelling had to be removed to get at the insulation, which over the past 48yrs had taken a bit of a hammering from a host of weird and wonderful critters!

With the exception of the 2 front and rear upper corner panels (which are fibreglass on this model and will have all the holes filled and repainted before been reused) the interior panelling will be replaced, mainly due to the amount of holes left by the various original heaters, fans and vents which i am not going to put back in.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And this is where i am at present folks, after a month on it with about 20hrs into the body restoration with regards to polishing and the odd bit of panel beating as i go.

- Before -

- And after -

Realistically i would like the polishing, rear lights wired (so its legal to tow) and all interior panelling (inc the roof vents fitted) done in the next couple of weeks.
I will keep the updates coming :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The 2 broken original roof lights and the bathroom fan have now been removed as well as the 100kg+ roof mounted aircon unit!
4 new 400mm roof lights will be fitted to add a bit of ventilation as well as bringing in more light.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts