Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the wrong thread some time ago. So i hope this is the write place.

Anyway i brought this car when i was 16 my dad was going to help me weld her up and put her back on the road. Seem that i could`nt weld. The plan was to put her back to how she was. But my views has changed over the years. And i want to put my own stamp on her and to piss off some HORNET/ELF owners. They are pretty hard car to get hold off (OK YOU SEE ONE OR TWO ON EBAY NOW AND AGAIN) but you don`t see them on the roads anymore.
Heres my plans

Sparying Matt Black
10inch Cooper s wheels with a red bead
MG 1275CC engine
8.5 front disc brakes
Slamed to the floor
But petrol filler neck in side the boot
Nice sound system for my tunes
Nice red intior
Magnolea Speedos.

Heres some photos
When i first got her home

Choped all the floor out

All the front floor and heel board was all put it and my dad had to stop becasue of his mk2 zephyr was getting pretty rusty. So it was up to me to learn to weld. I am now 20

Unlike a standerd mini these had the longer boot witch is going to be harder for me to repair

Mini boot floor

And a hornet panel i got from the club

Started to take the engine and subframe out

New doorcards and redone seats

Cut the story short. Ive done all weleding underneath the car all been underseald

Some bodywroke

Back on all 4s again

Started on the door last week and the glass poped out

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
I like it! It is great to see other people using British tin for their rods. Keep us updated.

·
78 Bronco BRING IT ON!
440 Posts
Hi, great job your doing, but couldn't you find a rusty one!! It's a good job that minis have such a comprehensive panel listing even though your going to have to tweak them sometimes, otherwise I dont think you'd even contemplate restoring one.They are just so much more fun then a standard mini, like a miniature Rolls Royce.Good luck with the rest of the rebuild

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
thats a cool motor, matt black will be good but dont do the "Magnolea Speedos", a pair of shorts will be better for pulling the birds

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Brave.... BRAVE guy.
I work on some rotten stuff and it can be a real slog. It seems to never end.
Good luck with it, and stick at it. Its kinda worth it in the end.
And as a final thought....... Everything looks good Jacked up at the back n low in the front!
Im a great lover of old skool cars < They were the new thing when I got into cars >

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im going to put an single box exshaused onto it with an 3 into 1 exshaued manfold so it will be loud :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Changed my minid about spraying it. Im just going to leave it ratty for now.And have the engine/bay really nice aswell as the inside

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I`ve tryed to hang the doors on today. But it just p**sed me off so i gave up (For now) and moved on to the fule tank.

Early tanks are smaller so im putting in a tank for a Mayfair witch are bigger

·
Registered
465 Posts
Back when I was a lad .. (I was 18 when your car was born) ... some crazy SOB managed to shove an 1800 cc Princess engine and front sub-frame (modified) into the front of one of those ... fair stormed in a straight line .... interesting possibility :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Superb little car, and much less commonly spotted than the Riley Elf (at least in my neck of the woods). I think you've put me onto the Stray Cats too, quite enjoyed the song in the second vid.

·
Registered
521 Posts
im busy with a riley elf. chopped 5" roof pushed forward and turned into a pick up. 1.816v vauxhall engine, yamaha r1 carbs. lowered tubbed arches tc etc

1 - 17 of 17 Posts