Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning to all my fellow hot rodders. I've been having some problems with my torino that I imported last may. It's running a 429 with a c6 tranny. I've just replaced the torque convertor after a possible failure issue. Now I've put it all back together and now it really doesn't work properly. Have a clattering noise now when just turning the back wheels while up in the air. The symptoms are different from the original problem so I don't know if what I have done has made it worse. I'm pretty stuck now to know what to do so any advise would be great. If there's anyone out there that has knowledge and is close to banbury in oxfordshire would great to be able to show you the issue. But any advise would be great.
Thanks
Martin

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,362 Posts
Did you locate the torque converter into the gearbox properly before pulling it all back together with the bellhousing bolts?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I hope I did. Put the T/C on the spline, rotated it back and forth a few times. Got it to locate twice over the spline which is what I was looking for. The T/C had a bout 7 to 8mm of play between it and the flex plate. So I think that was all as I was looking for.
Thanks
Martin

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And the original problem was it would make a noise only under load as small speed. Now it does it way worse and gets louder and quicker depending how high the revs are.

·
Registered
878 Posts
It's a sad fact that if you have auto transmission problems, and even if you diagnose the problem correctly the solution in 99.9% of cases involves removing and overhauling the transmission.
First step is always a sniff test of the transmission dipstick. Does the fluid smell burned or is it very dark in colour?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts