Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is in the right section or not, but I have a customer who has approached me about building him a replica of the grey primer chevy in the film "2 lane blacktop"
He has a rolling '55 chevy as a doner car but he wants me to do all the mods...... this is where i need you guys help. Anyone any idea on engine spec, wheels, interior etc
any help will be rewarded with beer. or cheap whisky. very cheap whisky.

·
"call 0-800 Apocalypse"
5,229 Posts
Not sure if this is in the right section or not, but I have a customer who has approached me about building him a replica of the grey primer chevy in the film "2 lane blacktop"
He has a rolling '55 chevy as a doner car but he wants me to do all the mods...... this is where i need you guys help. Anyone any idea on engine spec, wheels, interior etc
any help will be rewarded with beer. or cheap whisky. very cheap whisky.
this may be of some help, Restoration Photos of the Two-Lane Blacktop '55 Chevy in Two-Lane Blacktop '55 Chevy Restoration Forum

·
Exceeded sell by date
7,746 Posts
Satan beat me to it. The link that he posted takes you to a dedicated forum to the TLB cars. It's run by the guy that owns one of the surviving two 55's used in the making of the film. It's straight forward enough to build a car that gives a close approximation but the devil is in the detail. I don't know Rob who owns the UK car posted above (He is a member on here though) but he has made a superb job of that build. Well worth a look if you get the chance.

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the help and info chaps, my customer now thinks I am a 2 lane black top geek...... top work.

·
Exceeded sell by date
7,746 Posts
May be dreadful to you but a cult to many and certainly affected my life. What many people fail to do is to put these films into the context of when they were made. TLB, Easy Rider, Vanishing Point, Dirty Mary etc. were all made at a time when the post WW2 American high had subsided and the reality of the world/changes in their country was sinking in. Look at the futility in each film and work that into the social situation of the time. Many were looking for their freedom but whichever way they turned life was still facing them.
What did you find so dreadful out of interest? The storyline or the way it was made?

·
Down but not out
3,024 Posts
Great film loved it watch it 2 or 3 times a year and have just ordered vanishing point from amazon for less than a fiver

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
great car shame the film was flat out dreadfull..
Try watching it again chap. Some films take a second look to really be appreciated. The way the movie was made is directorship genius, and notice the tunnel vision of the "driver" and the "mechanic" who just have 100% cioncentration on their respective trades.... this is only broken by the arrival of "the girl" when they take issue with each other because she sleeps with them both...... and check out Warren Oates as the GTO man, best script of lies written for an actor in years! Superb.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
This is my all time 2nd Fave film next to Graffiiti. Love the sound of the whine from the Box. Love the opening scene against the 'Cuda. Think they used real Street Race Clubs as extras.

The 55 looks hard as nails. Missed the Custom car feature - one of only times have missed the mag cos of being out of country, wonder if can get back issues for that copy?

Your customer is a lucky man mate:tup:

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Yep, my favourite car film. You need to watch it more to pick up the funnys...love the bit where they stop at the gas station and are told about the guy who has a real fast car but "has a few transmission problems right now". Their snigger says it all. Great film and who can not like that big block manul on full chat. BTW it was the LA Street Racers with Big Willie Robinson of Charger Daytona fame at the start I believe

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
That car blew my mind when I first saw it at the Nats! I'll stand corrected, but I reckon the UK replica is about as good and as close to the original as your gonna get, even the Americans who know about it are saying the same? The builder has set the bar so high you've got some work on your hands to try and equal it, yet alone beat it, but I guess if your customer wants to go ahead then there's nothing wrong with trying.
All the best,
Micky T.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts