Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't suppose any one can shed any light on this, I remember it being advertised in the smalls in the back of SM sometime in the early nineties, I've looked but dont still have the issue. It was a red/orange Willys coupe (fibreglass I would have thought), running a Pinto motor, it wasn't a gasser, it wasn't a Pro streeter, it wasn't a kustom it was just a simple straightforward rod, steel wheels etc. Never saw it anywhere else and it has always stuck in my mind as a brave move to spend all that time and not too small outlay on something that would nearly always have an eight in it?

·
Registered
332 Posts
That's spooky it's in the For sale ads in the back of the April 99 CC I just got from a wanted ad :eek:

2 L Pinto / 5 speed box black steels with trim rings and caps

cant make out the reg number but has a rectangular plate mounted upright on the boot.

£3300 ono and a Newbury phone number

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
33 Plymouth, gotta be the same one, is there a picture in the ad, might be worth me trying to get hold of a copy. Don't think it will be worth ringing though!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Not easy to take a pic from the back of a mag so sorry about the quality

Andy

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that Andy, so my memory is not decieving me, wonder if anyone will come up with any more details?

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
i take a picture of this willys everytime i see it at shakey, this one was the nos nats '06 i would say its the same car

heres tha ad

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks Scottie, if that's the same car then it's looking a bit sorry for itself, is that OSJ 617 on the plate? Maybe someone could find the details? The thought occured to me that they were available to fit on a Mazda truck chassis at one point so this could be done that way and a Pinto slotted in? Just a thought.
Just had a closer look at the original ad and that is the same reg so it must still be around.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
OSJ 617 comes back as a black Chevrolet coupe with a 3.5litre engine. Currently taxed and insured, so it could still be alive (assumung the plate hasn't been transferred)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi i had the Willys built for me around 93-94 by John Blackmore in the New Forest. The chassis was a model A with Cortina front suspension and a Rover rear axle. The body was a new M&M glass body, the motor was a 2litre pinto and a four speed box which was changed to a five speed. The interior was very basic a Hillman Minx front bench seat Morris Minor steering wheel. I never really used the car much due to saving up for my first house but by 98 i got it back out on the road and planned to revamp it and use it. This all changed shortly after a visit to White Waltham swap meet i did a deal on a 32 roadster and sold the coupe. I saw the coupe at Shakey and at this years Hot Rod Hayride i think the guy who owns it now in Abbington? in Oxfordshire. Hope this may be of some help.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just to wrap this one up, thanks to sparky for that info (PM sent) and everyone else who posted, I just expected this to die with no replies. I got in touch with the original advertiser who told me he sold it to a guy who put a RV8 in so that would account for the current 'Chevy coupe 3.5 litre' status, shame I think but as anyone would rightly point out it's his car and not mine. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
if your looking to buy one mark bull has on on the for sale section on a tax exempt scimitar chassis and can supply 2ltr and 5 speed box or 2.9 and 4speed auto of a 350 chevy with the 350 box just a thought its a very cool looking car and not your every day run of the gasser pro street look

1 - 15 of 15 Posts