Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another one of my stupid ideas that probably won't happen but thought i'd ask incase anyone has seen or done it. :incheek:

Having lined up a 2.016v dohc for my pop, the seller also has a 24v Scorpio Cosworth he's breaking. Having researched the wiring issues for the 16v it looks pretty similar to the 24v, which got me thinking if its no easier to fit the 16v than the 24v, i might as well fit the cossie lump :roll:

Now i know they are quite wide at the top with the bigger heads but i'm thinking as its basically a cologne bottom end will it physically fit the pop engine bay. I'd happily run it without bonnet sides to accommodate the wider top end.
Now i know anything will fit if you want it to but i'm trying not to move bulkheads or redesign the perfectly good chassis / frontend.
So, my head says get a grip and fit the 16v as its a guaranteed fit but my heart says 24v 210bhp would be simply awesome :D
Whats the thoughts? Anyone seen or done this combo before?

·
Registered
265 Posts
May be wrong but im pretty sure some time back there used to be a dark metallic blue pop with 3 spoke alloys that had a 24v cosworth in it. But like i say, im not 100%. Also I remember one of the old rainy city cruisers fitted complete 24v cosworth running gear under a prefect. Not sure how much use that info is but hey!!!

·
Banned
4,274 Posts
May be wrong but im pretty sure some time back there used to be a dark metallic blue pop with 3 spoke alloys that had a 24v cosworth in it. But like i say, im not 100%. Also I remember one of the old rainy city cruisers fitted complete 24v cosworth running gear under a prefect. Not sure how much use that info is but hey!!!
sure that was dark metallic green ? full cosy inc suspension ?????????

·
Registered
255 Posts
something rings a bell the BOA earlier engine is a little friendlier wiring wise than the later BOB engine ?

I'll ask the old man - he's the one who walked around for a year swearing at BOB !! lol

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like it's a no go due to sheer size & weight of the cossy lump.

For info & to answer a few points, my pop had a pinto with autobox fitted and a rv8 a number of years back so tunnel etc would be ok but the bulkhead was moved forward between the rv8 & pinto reducing the engine bay a bit. I believe the BOA is easier to wire as the BOB has the pats anti theft built into ecu etc. It's a similar thing with the 16V as it also has the pats system, however after some research looks like an earlier ecu & wiring will work on the 16v in a similar way that the BOA parts work on the BOB 24v engines.
I've decided to stick with the 4 pot 16v which gives me 140bhp and good economy to boot. There's also a far better chance of me actually doing this conversion than a 24v if i'm honest! (yes Scottie, you're right mate!)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts