Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Rod'a'holic
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not built such a new car for a very long time but I have wanted one of these since I was 17 and I have known Martin who owned it for over 10 years but he kept turning me down when offered to buy it. Just before Christmas he finally gave in and said I could have it as he will never get round to building it.

It came without engine but included an Anglia axle and a set of lotus rims the basis for a simple period build.

Usual rot, doors, rear valence,rear corners, heel arches, wing bottoms. Sills are not rotten but badly fitted in the early 80's so need redoing.
Chassis and main floor apart from a few holes and old plates seems ok.

Started on the 25th Feb so some good progress so far

I have managed to source some Corsair struts, engine and box so full speed ahead now the correct sills have been sent!

·
Rod'a'holic
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the comments

Marky it was sold by Seatons in Yeovil there are some neat brass plates riveted on the inner sill. I will take your comments as high praise indeed having seen you build the truck:smoke:

Steve some nice work on the Capri, I had to move mine out of my lock up for re roofing, cannot believe how fast the time goes :eek: it has been there 8 years and has stood up quite well I have had it for 31 years. I will put it back on the road when the Thames is finished.

·
Rod'a'holic
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was stumped for ages not being able to start it thinking it was an electrical fault so I stopped working on it while I built my 41 ford truck. Nikb on the forum responded to a build thread on here saying he had just started the one he fitted to his Chevy truck so I spoke to him asking for advice. He put me right on some fuel flow issues and told me how to bleed it out properly ( the injector pump can be difficult and this is my first diesel) So with his help it is now running --- Thanks Nik.

So inbetween the welding I have stripped out miles of surplus cable and am finishing the interior.

·
Rod'a'holic
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Removed the sill and as always it was worse than it looked so inner sills removed along with the crossmember.

Made new member using some dimple dies for the first time, nice finish

Swaged inner sills and sill closing panel made as I could only get cover sills

I cut and butt jointed the sill to the closing panel to replicate the original so I could reinstated the seam at the bottom of the wing

I replated the inner wing also putting the seams back

Cut the passenger sill last night no better than the other side.

·
Rod'a'holic
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Pretty much finished the fabrication for the rear half but still some welding to do.

Fitted the Anglia axle with 2" lowering blocks

I have chosen to use a Triumph MK4 Spitfire gearbox as it has a remote which will line up with the hole in the floor along with a 3 cylinder Seat Ibiza/ Polo engine 1198cc, 12V, 68 bhp. Unusual choice but I wanted something economical, reliable and would fit without cutting the bulkhead.

So I needed to make an adaptor plate, sourced a 15mm thick piece of alloy and drilled a hole to match the input shaft then drilled the bolt holes for the bellhousing.

The engine came with a sandwich plate which by machining a locator disc up I could centralise the engine bolt pattern.

Using a jigsaw I cut out the required shape.

The starter motor bolts on from the gearbox side so I cut the gearbox section from the bellhousing and machined 15mm ( thickness of the plate) off to correctly space the starter from the flywheel.

I shall be using the VW clutch cover with a 1098cc MG clutch plate ( 7") and Triumph clutch fork

Goes together quite well

·
Rod'a'holic
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I used an Hitachi jig saw and a quality fine toothed metal blade, I really did not expect to do it all with one blade, I smeared cutting compound along the cut line, neater finish than a plasma cutter I think

·
Rod'a'holic
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Engine/box is in, sits quite well, had to remove the air con pump to use mounting points to build engine mounts on the other side there are a couple of bosses which I could drill and tap to make mounts.

Front suspension and steering is mounted so I could not resist mocking up the front end

There is still quite a lot of welding to do forward of the doors

·
Registered
286 Posts
Great work so far always get that i did that feeling when you have replaced all the tin wormed metal , one of these was the first motor my dad had that was some 50 years ago lovely motor remeber it so well as one sunday it was stuck by lightening on the roof just above the back doors and could never get rid of the mark ,will be following your build with interest and old memorys

·
Rod'a'holic
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
excellent work on the gearbox, there would be quite a few people interested in this over at ford100e.com. I'm guessing you didn't cut the bulkhead for IVA reasons ?
Correct

·
Registered
102 Posts
Looking good rich..:D not been on here for a while and glad to see your still posting.. Mock up looks really good, what wheels are going on it??.. Always amazed at your ingenuity.. great work with the engine / gearbox..:cool:

Hope your all ok over there, sorry I didnt make the last meet, I got as far as siting outside your place but was cream crackered so headed home.. will catch you soon.. Roll on Hay Ride.. :p

PS.. Just put a post in the tech section if you have any ideas??.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts