Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there,
on my bronco 302 i get 50psi oil pressure on start up but after about 3-5 miles it drops to 25ish at about 50 mph and 5-10 on tickover. i get no rattles from the motor even under load i have fitted a new oil pump and i was wondering if a refresh of all the bottom end bearings would help as a cheap option or am i going to have to sell a kidney to get the whole thing rebuilt
rich

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the other thing i was thinking about was keeping the oil temp down by fitting a cooler as i got one on the gearbox

·
Premium Member
14,689 Posts
how many miles has it done? new bearings won't hurt anyway :tup:

·
Registered
727 Posts
I would say you have no need for an oil cooler, a stock 302 shold not have oil temp problems, even if its geting old. You have fitted a new oil pump, was it a stock pump? It should be. A new set of bottom end bearings may help bring the pressure up, and certainly wont hurt it. The pressure you mention is a little low, but not for a 80000 miler, It not low enough to undualy concern me. But bearing cost for your engine is cheap so bung a set in. You are using multigrade oil? 20-50 is what I'd use in him.
Martin.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hiya
oil filters can sometimes be the cause of pressure loss,there are lots of brands that are made to x amount of microns filtration and cause low flow=low pressure,iv even heard that fram have been known to be a culprit in some cases .may be worth a try to get a decent one from a performance parts supplier...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the oil pump is a standard replacement part . i have been using datona 20/50 multigrade mineral based oil which is for older engines so next thing to try is a different filter if that dont work then a new set of bearings.
thanks for all the advice
rich

·
Registered
533 Posts
Penrite recommend HPR40 for older 289s which is a 25w70 so thicker than most. Might be worth a try? I use it in a very worn out 289 and it does make a difference, especially when the engine gets hotter. Doesn't cost any more than normal oil from my local dealer.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
daft question but what type of pressure gauge have you got? if its an electronic one throw it away and try a capillary type on it

·
Registered
215 Posts
New shells best option, or use a can of STP ( or similar) & thicker oil.

Your lifters will tell you when the oil pressure is too low!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts