Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
THATS MR TATFINK TO YOU
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
fitting a new windscreen rubber on a chevy 3100 , how easy/hard is it ?what to expect please?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi, probably best to have two people doing it; one working from the inside pulling the cord & one outside pushing the glass in. I found the easiest way is to put the glass in the rubber (. & chrome trim if fitted) wrap a good strong cord around the outer lip of the rubber, use plenty of soapy water, pick a side to start & go from the bottom of the centre post around to the top. I also used one of our cutlery knives to run around the inside lip of the seal to help it along in places, gave it a few brave thumps to get it seated in, swore a bit & spent about 15 mins doing it. If you' re refitting old glass it will be more brittle than new so more care needed. Hope this helps, cheers Ju.

·
Registered
376 Posts
We struggled like buggery for about 4 hours doing my dads 56 gmc and in the end we got a local lad who does auto glass for a living to come round and do it........he did it in about 15-20 minutes. One thing we did notice was how he wasn't afraid to give it a right good wack with his hand, they are tougher than you think! Cheers, Smiffy

·
THATS MR TATFINK TO YOU
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys,did think i might get new glass as the old have a few scatches ...gonna do it over the winter so if i break one it,ll be inside:tup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts