Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Rod'a'holic
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have been working on this since last September, another club member changed his mind about building a Scimitar rod so as I had a body available and I am unable to resist another project.

It is the same ex Bay area rods body that Hardy county used to sell so is not an accurate replica.

I unchopped the body 2" and took the slant out of the windscreen ( pics form last build as I did not take any this time)

Following pics are the actual body

Bent some channel to make guttering

After lots of filling and sanding

Plan is to fit a 1.8 zetec engine with Lexus is 200 6 speed gearbox on an unmodified chassis

Modify some 32 wings to make a full fendered rod

Made some false horns and a moulding to cover the steel plate

Out riggers are too far forward so I modified the fenders to reduce the visual impact using a quick skirt moulding from my 34 fenders

Frame work for the shortened running boards

Lengthen the bed to cover the rear end of the chassis

Widen the tailgate so the rear fenders sit right on the wheels without widening them.

Bulkhead mounted brakes with Audi pedals box and servo I had in the shed

Home made dash using 5" gauges

Stainless tank mounted under the bed behind cab

Prepping the fenders for paint this weekend.

·
Premium Member
14,419 Posts
That's very nice. The fenders are like English 'b' ones with your '34' bit added. Neil.

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
Great project, you are creating something special without spending a fortune, just good old hotrodding ingenuity.
Please keep the updates and pics coming

·
Premium Member
4,452 Posts
brilliant, great looking rod for sensible money, well done. Your becoming an authority on scimitar rods.

·
Rod'a'holic
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
The car will qualify for a rebody as the chassis is un altered and I am using original axles, suspension and steering = 10 points. When I MOT the finished car I will get the garage to write me a letter to verify the engine capacity and ID number along with stating the body has been changed which I will send off with documents. It will keep the original reg number but be described how I choose.

As with all modern boxes it has a pulse generator for the speedo the output is universal with just a variation in pulses per mile, I will be using Dolphin gauges which have a calibration button, you simply press at the start and after 1 mile press again and it is all done. Some gearboxes like the Volvo ones I use for flathead conversions do not have one so an ABS sensor targeted at the prop shaft bolts will do the same.

·
Rod'a'holic
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
cheers for the answer nice and simple
are you using the ford ecu
and injection system
I am planning to use the whole set up, that is why I am using the Focus column with the inbuilt key reader.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts