Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I stripped the 350 box today and following lots of research, books, google etc I have reason to believe I have some balls missing ;)

In the attached photo the ONLY bearing I had was in the yellow position, according to manuals etc there should be 4 or even 5!

I am assuming the red positions are also for bearings but I cannot work out if I need others and where they would go.

So, can anyone help me out on this? RThe rebuild kit has a few bearings to put in but I need to knwo where they go.

Thanks to anyone that can help me,

TrOjAn

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im not sure whats been done to this box, bought it off a member on here, theres a plastic thrust washer type thing thats totally knackered and its a part thats not included in my rebuild kit... also looks like some of the bushings are not top notch and they are also not included, makes me wonder why they call it a rebuild kit :(

TrOjAn

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
If i remember right removing some aided shifting ,+drilling some holes in the plate as well .
Thats the bummer. Unless you know whats been done previously its a mine field to figure out whats what. If you have not lost any balls and they are in the position they were, then build it and see. If theres a problem its not hard to remove the VB and have another look, or even to replace it. Its why when we do mods we give the customer a sheet of whats what and tell them to file it carefully. Just done a race PG for a guy and he has been given all the paperwork, plus the next step for upgrading plus all the stuff we did to his trans.

There are numerous different shift kits, manual on mods and thats without mods done by people who just have a play. So rebuild it and see. I can get you the original VB layout if your deesperate but a guggle search should come up with it.
G

·
Flange Dealer
642 Posts
I've always had to buy thrust washers & bushings separately when I've done them in the past , it's common practice. Got a load left over too , but they're all Ford!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers for the replies, contacted Customville for the parts, need the bushings and some thrust washers but they are coming out at over £60 quid.. Im off to Vegas in April, think Ill bring the bits back with me.. means Ill have to wait to rebuild but will be a whole lot cheaper.

If it was only the thrust washers I might have made some, the one thats knackered is nylon... but as the bushings look a bit worn Ill replace the lot.. Only want to do it ONCE!

TrOjAn

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hi Have a look at the valve body seperator plate if its gold colour its prob had a reprogramming kit put in and may have a number on it ,may be able to track down make and type from number most of the B&m kits use a check ball in that location
HTH
john

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Hi Have a look at the valve body seperator plate if its gold colour its prob had a reprogramming kit put in and may have a number on it ,may be able to track down make and type from number most of the B&m kits use a check ball in that location
HTH
john
Thats interesting, it does indeed have a gold seperator plate.. Ill investigate.

Investigated, this is the number.. can you offer any other helpful advice, so far you have done great :)

TrOjAn

·
Gym Junkie
6,213 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
trojan

three balls in the valve body is common, especially for the early autos/ Darren if its for your pickup i would not bother with a shift kit, i would just double feed the pistons, and double up on the sun bearings.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks again for all the replies.. I think I have enough info now to know where Im going ;) getting the parts is another story!!

Cant believe there are no UK stocks for this stuff.. market must be huge.

TrOjAn

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
UPDATE:

Huge THANKS to Jonnyblue82, after a couple of emails and a phone call he jumped in his car and came over to look at my box, he also brought over the thrust washer that was holding up the rebuild.

Its people like him that make this world a better place, thanks to those that pointed him out to me, a true gentleman and very knowledgeable.

Feeling so much reassured now.. thanks Jonnyblue82!!

TrOjAn

1 - 19 of 19 Posts