Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Stroker
5,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

got a rebuilt 355ci/TH350 Chevy mill and after some basic start up settings.
The mills been sat there for years since the rebuild and am now pooping it after seeing the horror stories of
failed initial run ups with cam problems etc. I need this baby to start and run up without any drama.
I need a drink :drunk:

I've got 3 books and spent ages googling it but still haven't pinned down some of the basics.
Got a random Camaro manual that states initial timing can be anything between 12 to zero degrees,
tickover 550-1000. Carb idle adjustment anything between 1/4 to full turn back off from falter.
God knows what the engine temp should be. Got an electric fan to set up.

Engine:
355 10.1 cr hyper pistons
Reground crank, Scat rods, d/roller t/set
Melling MTC-1 cam (looks similar spec to Performer one) 050 duration 204 in 214 ex ??
Ed*lbrock performer heads, intake, 750 carb (already dyno jetted on another street 355 so should be ok)
MSD 6AL,
Mallory dual point dizzy (mechanical though!?) (trailing points left off as MSD advised)
Points set at 20 thou, 10 degrees timing
Spark plugs at 40 thou, MSD say start at 50!!!!!!
Sexy scavenging 1 5/8" exhaust fanimolds, 2 1/2" system, bugger all restrictions.

After all that, what I really need is hands on knowledge for this sort of spec please :hug:

Timing, tick over rpms, engine temp (have a decent dial so wanna know what's normal), crafty carb adjust tricks.

cheers!
KJ

·
I'm Not Jed Clampett
2,725 Posts
timing [email protected] 10 degrees static will get the motor to run. Once it's been running long enough to have done the initial bed in for the cam, you can time the motor with a timing light so that you have 35 degrees total advance when the motor is held at a steady RPM -don't know about your particular dizzy but 3500 RPM should see the advance all in on anything. A dial back timing light makes this job a lot easier.

For the slow running mixture, I've found that using a vacuum gauge works well. Hook up the gauge so that it sees the manifold vacuum and adjust the mixture for the highest vacuum, you'll probably need to keep fiddling with the tickover setting while you're doing this because the revs rise when the fueling is about right, but the vacuum gauge should still show you whether you're going the right or wrong way with the mixture.

Re. your cooling, I run an 82 degree thermostat on my truck (warmed over 350 SBC motor) and a 90 degree fan switch, runs ok and hasn't boiled yet.

HTH, Stuart.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Ditto for the above post. When you get it fired you have to run it up for 20 minutes at 2500 rpm to brake in the cam,do not let it idle at all during that period.You do have cam break in lube in it right? If it gets hot with the initial run up have a garden hose ready to spray the radiator to cool it down.

·
Stroker
5,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wahoo!!!!!!!

Started up on the button! :woohoo:

It did still have the assembly lube goo all over it (where I could peek).
I'd put break in lube and spun the oil pump to try and give the lifters a boost the other week.
Warmed the oil/sump with a fan heater and fed in hot water, so I did all I could on a -2 Newcastle day :shake:

Ran it for the full 20 mins and then let it cool. Had a 3000 rpm limiter in the MSD so I/it didn't go nuts.

Some of the rockers were banging like a shithouse door so adjusted them and they seem pretty quiet to me now :tup:
The stat opened bang on at 180 degrees, and then temp went over 200
(later with anti-freeze it settled to about 190 but booting it in a draught free garage it did go up easily).

The vids after the run in, it did adjust down to 550rpm no probs but didn't let it idle long.
Was gonna play with the timing and mix, but will get the proper tools for the weekend.

cheers
KJ
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Well done mate, it's a great feeling ain't it... :tup:

Wait till you drive it for the first time... :p

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Sounded very good:tup:Hydraulic lifters can be noisy at first as they don't all fill with oil evenly but once running for a few mins they self prime and should go silent assuming the rockers are set right. As others have stated never allow a new cam to idle during initial break in, always use plenty cam lube, and once running keep the revs up around 3K rpm for about 20 mins to get a good break in on the new metal surfaces.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts