Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Gym Junkie
6,213 Posts
As you are probably already aware flex plates are different between pre and post 86 engines the crank bolt hole mounting diameter on a pre 86 motor is 3.58" and 3" on a post 86 motor, also if you have a post 86 motor with the one piece crank seal it probably needs a flex plate with a balance weight. You can get flex plates that are drilled for both 10.75" and 11.50" diameter converter bolt patterns. A starter for a 168 tooth flex plate has staggered mounting holes, a starter for a 153 tooth flex plate has in line mounting holes, if the starter has 2 sets of mounting holes it can be used on either 153 or 168 flex plates.

I ended up getting a TCI one direct from Summit Racing in the end but Real Steel, US Automotive or Rock Auto may have them over here:

http://www.summitracing.com/

http://www.realsteel.co.uk/

US Automotive ---

RockAuto Parts Catalog

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Chevyvs
Thanks for the comment. I've learnt a lot about flex plates and flywheels in the last few weeks! Funny when something goes wrong it opens up a whole new world of dos and don'ts, get this and not that and make sure you check the other thing first blah blah ! :shake: So much for 'it should just bolt straight on' !!
Having a 89 Chevy ZZZ crate engine with in line starter mounting holes it is definitely a 153, externally balanced item I'm after. Thought I'd try on here first before going to the shops.

·
Gym Junkie
6,213 Posts
Hi Chevyvs
Thanks for the comment. I've learnt a lot about flex plates and flywheels in the last few weeks! Funny when something goes wrong it opens up a whole new world of dos and don'ts, get this and not that and make sure you check the other thing first blah blah ! :shake: So much for 'it should just bolt straight on' !!
Having a 89 Chevy ZZZ crate engine with in line starter mounting holes it is definitely a 153, externally balanced item I'm after. Thought I'd try on here first before going to the shops.
When you go shopping be careful which flex plate bolts you end up with, although the thread sizes are the same the post 86 crank bolt hole mounting diameter is smaller so the heads of the normal bolts end up so close that there is not enough space between them to get a socket on to do them up, you need bolts with a slightly smaller head, I used ARP ones, fairly sure these are the right ones:

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/arp-200-2906/overview/

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Rob, I had spoke with them but there was a 3 - 4 week lead time.

I bit the bullet and bought direct from Summit Racing and got a shiny steel one for $45. The $55 postage was hard but got it in 5 working days and there were some stickers with it (just trying to ease the pain!!)

Thanks to all who responded. Much appreciated.
J

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
a lot of people have said the same about fitting a larger one but nobody i spoke with actually did it or could say it without the 'should work' words! Having already split the housing on one starter, crunched off the teeth on 2 plates and forked out on a high torque replacement stater I wasn't going to chance it.
Would be interested in hearing if anyone has actually 'upgraded' to a 168 from a 153 :bigsmile:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts