Rods 'n' Sods banner

241 - 260 of 957 Posts

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
Hi mate ,thank you for the comments.:tup:The panel was made from 2 pieces ,the vertical piece ( shaped like a 1/2 moon ) had the radiused edge formed over then the top section had the flange folded then both pieces welded together and then hammered and filed.Thanks for looking .:tup:

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #242
Quick up date , the O/S bed sections are finally welded into position .The front section proved to be a challenge as it has a flange on three of of its edges all needing to align with fender ,running board and rear of the cab.To cut a long story short this panel distorted so badly
when welded in that I nearly cut it out and made another piece,but after a lot of hammer work and shrinking it is looking a lot better.On the upside the rear section welded in with virtually no distortion and just needs the usual hammer work ready for cleaning up.Tomorrow I hope to start making the inner bed sides and possibly remove the fender and finish off the welds to the closing panel.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
Firstly enjoying the thread, first class fabrication, and your vision to shape the bed with a curve :tup:

Jeff

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #245
Thank you guys for the comments.I didn't achieve as much as I wanted today but here are a few pics of the bed inner structure taking shape.Hopefully I will get a bit more done in the evenings this week.

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #248
Thank you guys ,very much appreciated .I'm really chuffed if this thread gives any one even a small amount of inspiration to" get their ass into gear":tup:.
John I'm flattered by " superlative " I wish I knew what it meant !!!! ha ha :D:D.Cheers John.

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #249
I managed to finish the inner structure tonight .As usual I got a bit more " involved" with this area than I first thought .It was a bit tricky to get the top section to match the curve of the bed side but keeping the inner structure straight .I haven't decided what the inner bed finish is going to be yet. I don't want use wood but I have set the inner structure back so that what ever I decide there will be no raw edge visable .Hopefully the pics might explain far better than me !!!.

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #250
A change of plan ........I was going to take off the rear fender and finish off the welding to the closing panel and bed side ,but while the fender is in the correct place I thought I would start to tackle a job I've been putting off for ages!!!!!.When the rear wheel is on I don't like the look of the tyre to the shape of the arch at the forward edge .This is probably due to 76 years of abuse although its the same on the other side.The n/s fender is in a worse condition than this one so I thought I would repair both in the same way .I have never formed a wired edge before so I am going to give it a try !!!!!! this way if all goes well I can reshape the fender arch to match the tyre better .(looking at the pic with the wheel on I want to mirror the rear section, this should the flow down into the running board much better)

These two pics are of the n/s fender looking in a sorry state.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Mark, why not make a hammerform for those fender edges? Dead easy to do and knock out so if you don't like it you just change the shape of the form and make another.

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #252
Cheers , that's just what I was going to try !!! :tup:.Watch this space!!!!:beuj::beuj:Thanks for looking. Mark .

·
Turbo 4 pot freak
1,891 Posts
Mark have you tried sticking the wing through an english wheel very lightly to get the wrinkles straighter? looking forward to see what a hammerform is :scared:

John

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #254
Hi John, the main problem is with the thickness of the metal around the arch (very thin and past its sell buy date !!!! ) and these fenders have another return not just the normal flange it goes vertical as well ( shaped like a channel).I don't like to make work for myself :wacky: but redoing the arches I would get the shape I'm looking for .( if it comes out OK ????).Cheers John .Stay tuned !!!!(I suppose I could buy fibre glass ones :puke:!!!!!!!)

·
Premium Member
6,696 Posts
only just picked up on this build, what a brilliant piece of kit (I did say KIT!) great build Mark, thanks for sharing!
Definitely one to follow from now to completion,

Gary.

PS just a small criticism, stop apologising for the lack of progress, it doesn't matter :smoke:

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #256
only just picked up on this build, what a brilliant piece of kit (I did say KIT!) great build Mark, thanks for sharing!
Definitely one to follow from now to completion,

Gary.

PS just a small criticism, stop apologising for the lack of progress, it doesn't matter :smoke:
:beuj::beuj:Sorry mate , don't understand "KIT" and I don't remember" apologising for lack of progress".I must be missing something:beuj:Cheers .

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #257 (Edited)
Had to be dragged kicking and screaming to do some DIY this weekend but did get a chance to get stuck into the new reshaped rear fender opening.I have some 3mm thick plywood that I use for templates so I marked around the rear of the fender opening and mirrored this onto some sheet steel . I was going to make a hammer form for this job but time was against me so I ran it through the bead roller to start the return edge then gently worked the edge over until I could trap the 6mm rod .The radius (bottom left ) took a bit of " persuading " but after resorting to a bigger hammer it finally gave up and wrapped around the rod .I shall try to get it cut and welded in this week if I can, but if not it'll have to wait until the weekend.Cheers.

·
Turbo 4 pot freak
1,891 Posts
Holy shit Mark how did you do that?????????? when you do the other side would you take stage piccy's please :cool: I'd love to see how you did that. Also what tool did you use on the end of the Bead Roller to start the flange off.

:rule: :rule: :rule: :rule: :rule: :rule: :rule: :rule: :rule: :rule: :rule: :rule: :rule:

John

241 - 260 of 957 Posts