Rods 'n' Sods banner

41 - 60 of 957 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
nice truck

hi mark just looking at the truck !! it has great lines , also doing a 37 pickup but a ford and its a roadster . a long way off yet !!love the blown up size photo of whats it going to look like , mine'e still in my head lol , looking forward to seeing more photos
cheers mark simkiss

:D

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Cheers Chris , slow progress but it's the build I enjoy the most . Yours looks great , I hope you have alot of fun with it .Mark

·
Registered
11 Posts
Absolutely stunning work Mark, wish i had the skills to do something like this, i got pushed out of the thought of panelbeating and spraying due to being colourblind and having a family who owned a business in the same trade but i regret i didnt go to college after school to still learn this trade, may have to take some classes at night college or something as it will always be my first love, good luck with everything, cant wait to see the end product in real life. Tim

·
Registered
919 Posts
Being colourblind shouldn't affect you ? Just learn the skills,somebody else can do the paint for you? Go for it...

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Hi Tim , many thanks for the comments . Long story ,but I met a guy many years ago who was a chippy by trade . But i could not believe the skills he had . Tig welding all manner of fabrication skills etc . When I questioned him about where he had learnt all these skills he told me something that is very true and that was "if you really want something just have a go " . I have never forgotten this , Tim just have a go . Mark.

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
Ater getting the running board mounts 90% finished I needed to trim the running boards for final fit with all the bolts etc. But before I could do this I needed to work out where the running board skirt was going to finish. As always happens something else gets in the way of progress.There is no inner structure to the doors so nothing to mount the hinge pockets to.This meant working out the new shape of the doors and "B " post .Then i could build the inner stucture for hinge pockets window regulater etc. So before you nod off here is a few shots of the early stages of the new"B" post.

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Hidden hinges. After studying RODPLANS drawings of hidden hinges this is my attempt .
The biggest problem with doing h/hinges on vehicles of this age is that the A and B post is so narrow just like a pop etc . So its a compromise finding the best position for the hinges so that when the doors are open the don't look like they are sagging towards the ground . Anyway here are a few pics showing early stages of fabrication and trial fitting .

·
Registered
919 Posts
No mate,things getting worse financially ,health still crap,so slowed right down on the little hotrod

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Just a quick update . Acouple of pics with the hidden hinge assembly tacked in . I refitted the door and with a bit of fiddling it worked really well . Unfortunatly the hinge pivot position is different so the door hits the front fender but as the front fenders are from another chevy model I should not be surprised. The other pics show the cut needed to bring the front fender down to meet the running board . The others are the early (very ) stages of the new lower door skin . This is 5 1/2 inches wider than stock and 2 inches longer ( closer to the running boards ) . I will be fiddling with the new inner frame to match the new door skin over the weekend .

·
Registered
140 Posts
looking good
i had the same problem with my hinges hitting the wing but hopefully using a door strap will stop it hitting as long as we can still get in it that is.
i used some ground shoulder bolts for my pins what have you used and is there a reason there so long does it help make them more study or a smoother movement at all

trav

41 - 60 of 957 Posts