Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I asked this before but? In an ideal world what would the best combo (cam, heads, followers, rockers and convertor) be for a street (some times strip) 383 chevy, currently running tunnel ram twin carbs and 3.5 ratio axle

Many thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi Cabby,
I just built a 383 for a fella on this forum. The spec was for largely street occassional strip in a ford pop. 5 speed manual box.
We had eagle crank, eagle rods, Keith black 18cc dished pistons, mahle rings, about 9.5 comp ratio, cloyes noisy gear drive, comp cams 268 high energy, 2.02/1.6 polished stainless valves in CNC 64cc trickflow heads. 1.5 roller rockers. Edelbrock performer manifold. Shorty headers. 750 cfm carb. MSD.
Reckon its at or around 400BHP. In his words ''pulls like a f****** train'
As with any engine build like that you have to try and be practicle if its largely street use. Its easy to over cam an engine and over carb it. I'd ditch those double carbs and enjoy the fuel savings. You dont need them to make good HP on the street, especially with an automatic. You get good snappy throttle response from a smaller 4 barrel and can suck 450HP easy through one 750cfm.
If you want to make changes to your engine then you need to start with some basic items and work your way up. Make sure the block is half decent in the first place. Make sure your heads have the right size combustion chambers and if your going 383 then you want the larger valve heads to let it breath, so after market alloy heads are best (better than any GM cast iron head, however many humps it has on the end of it !!) Then you want pistons to give you the right compression ratio. And so on...... Quite a bit is mathmatical if you want to avoid parts hitting each other! Torque converters are another matter and depend on the ratio and box you have. Axle ratio's dont mean much without tyre sizes to go with them as well as this gives you your rolling radius.
If you want more advice drop me a PM with more specific details.
Cheers
Jon

1 - 3 of 3 Posts