Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep......I'm at it again.
This time I bought a nice car so no need for a massive strip down and rebuild.....yet!
It is actually a nice car and I've already dumped the original master cylinder and put a dual circuit jobby thing on with servo. Incidentally, if you're planning a brake upgrade but are struggling with what pedal to use then look at an MR2 one as it's really easy to fit.
Back to the car (Pontiac Silver Streak). As nice as it is to drive, it's a slow on acceleration and the crash gearbox is a bastard. I could replace the box with a 5 speed and the carbs with a twin set-up and I may do this in the future, but finding the bits I want would take a long time and there is no guarantee the old flat 6 would perform better. So I'm going to swap both motor and box.......and it won't be SBC or LS1 or RV8 (all a bit boring and overdone for me). And I don't need 300hp
The steering is fantastic in this old motor.......once I'm over 5mph it's really light so I'll leave that alone. It has independent suspension up front so apart from lowering maybe I'll leave that alone too. Will probably lose the lever arm shocks on the rear and fit new telescopic ones, but will wait to see how she drives before I make that decision.
The only other upgrade will be a complete re-wire as the old cloth covered wires are brittle and it's not worth the risk keeping them.

Here's a few pics of the old girl

·
Premium Member
6,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Now for the build

First job was to treat myself to a 2 post lift. It's a mid rise lift as I didn't have enough height for a full height and I can work under the car whilst sitting on a stool so it's good enough for me and stops me feckin my back up climbing under the car on a cold concrete floor

The father in law cam round yesterday and we took the from end panels off in about 3 hours. He enjoys helping me out in the garage and ever since he lost his wife he keeps his overalls in his car in case I need him while he's visiting. I try to find as many things as I can for him to keep him occupied.......he's a dab hand at sharpening drill bits:tup:

And this is my engine of choice. A Daimler 250 Hemi and BW35 auto box. Not everyone's cup of tea but they are small so I won't have to cut any bodywork to make it fit and I think they look cool

I did toy with the idea of a custom manifold so I could fit cooler looking carbs but the SU's are a good reliable set up so I'll leave them there.......

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Interesting build, we will watch it progress.
Which MR2 model did the brake pedal come from?

·
My name is Martin
2,613 Posts
Lovely motor!

I like how other cars can be robbed for useful bits. The MR2 also has a really short and compact clutch master cylinder. Which is odd, seeing it had no reason to be so short.

·
Premium Member
6,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the old engine and box out and stored them just in case I ever want to put it back to original or whatever. Also got the new lump in place so I can see what to do about mounts. I may move the engine back as yet.....will have a proper look tomorrow.
I could do with lowering the back down a fraction but the gearbox sump will hit a cross member. One idea I've had is to take the sump off and see if I can reduce the depth of it. Won't know until I take it off. Doesn't need to be reduced all over, just the back half. I really don't want to cut out any chassis stuff. I'd like to do the same to the engine sump maybe....will see when I decide where everything will finally sit

·
Vendor
3,394 Posts
what a lovely old thing & cracking choice of engine /trans combo , the story of you're fatherinlaw warms my heart , my dad was a motor trader all his life & loved to tinker he came out & visited me a few times later in his life & I always had something for him to work on , we took the body off the chassis of my old 41 Willys when I first got it & left him tinkering on my old 58 stude truck whilst I was out & about , fond memories , good luck with the project you picked a good one everyone has a chevy or ford .

·
Registered
818 Posts
Cool build. Interesting to see how much you can achieve without cutting chassis etc.

Love the look of that engine as well.

·
Premium Member
6,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the comments chaps. Not a lot to report other than I scrubbed the engine and gave it a coat of paint. Will need to polish the rocker covers and maybe some other bits......not too much though as I hate having to clean stuff

·
Premium Member
6,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now I'm at home avoiding the kung flu I've had loads of garage time and thought I'd update the thread.
The engine is back in the car for the final time. I had to make a cross member for the gear box to sit on.....simple enough job, just some 2x2 steel and a bit of measuring

Also borrowed an exhaust bender from a mate and got those done. The over axle tubes I bought from ebay and the stainless boxes I got from the swap meet. Please excuse the crap pic

The wiring is now finished (apart from front lights, they will be done when the wings are back on) and I made a battery tray........no pic though

The next job on the list was to clean up the carbs and give them a good re-build. First things first.....make a clean area to work on

They really were in a right mucky state. Some pics have come out sideways...must remember to turn the phone round

A good clean and a little bit of polishing and I think they look loads better

When these are back on I'm going to tackle polishing the ali rocker covers. Normally I would send them off as I never seem to have the time nor patience to do it myself......but time is something I have plenty of for the forseeable future. I'll post some before, during and after pics to let you know how I get on

·
Premium Member
6,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Today's task was to have a go at the rocker covers.

This is the sorry state they were in

As it was so cruddy I gave it a very light sand blast

And then went over it with 500 wet and dry........that's all I had and its a bit awkward getting anything else.....besides, I like using whats lying around

Speaking of stuff lying around....I had loads of rubbing compound so thought I'd give that a go instead of buying proper stuff

I moved the bench grinder onto the pillar drill (bolted of course) to give me more space under it

.....and an hour later. Not perfect, but nice enough for me

·
Premium Member
6,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got all the bits and bobs back on the engine. The throttle pedal is really heavy.......Im guessing there are too many bends in the cable so I might try and simplify it and see if that helps

I also gave the master cylinder a makeover

and i got some of the sheet metal back on........that was friggin hard work on my own

Now the wings are on and as i suspected the front end in way too high (new engine is probably 100kg lighter). So its either option 1; put 100kg weight on the front end, option 2; have some springs made up (they are coils on the front), option 3; whip the springs out and put air bags in

·
Premium Member
6,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I must admit I’m with you on that one. I’ve spoken to a spring manufacturer this morning and it’s only £120 or so to get springs made to order so I’ll be going down that route. Not keen on airbags anyway....and springs don’t get punctures

·
Registered
349 Posts
Coil springs should not cost that much, If you know what poundage you need GAZ would be cheaper than that

1 - 20 of 24 Posts