Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I really want to put a 4 bar rear link on my 63 country sedan (Galaxie wagon ), how big should the bars be in o/d and wall thickness . I am going to states shortly and want to order a set from gambinos to be delivered to my hotel. This is the spec of my wagon in length and weight . I am measuring the length I need tomorrow .if anyone can throw any helpful suggestions my way I would be grateful as I have never done anything like this lol.

image by mark & anne's photos, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
Hi mark

Why are you putting in four link.i take its on leafs at the mo.

Lenght will be determined where youre bracket's get mounted on the axle and where you can get the brackets in onto the front of the chassis.same with the panhard rod is you need one.im guesssing youre having parallel bars not triangulated.

Is there not a bolt on kit available in the states.

Not sure why you need to get the bars made in the states,as they can be made here to any length. There not expensive

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi Wayne. Thank for your response, I'm toying with the idea of putting it on a 4 link as at the moment I have it on leaf springs with airbag assisting and I'm not comfortable using this set up tbh . I was only going to get it in the states as I'm going and need to bring something back lol. I think a panhard rod instead of triangulated setup would be better because of room under there lol. I know I can't get it to drop anymore when parked as prop hits the top of the tunnel and cutting welding that is way beyond me at this time . Andy38 setup seem very reasonable tbh and is roughly the same price so I might go with his set up. Ride tech do a bolt on kit but it's £2000 and that is too much . No one does a kit otherwise sadly . I have seen it done using a impala ( landrover)wishbone on top of axle and fitted to new chassis cross members . I would like to use lower bars bolted/ welded to spring plate on axle and leaf mounts on chassis.

image by mark & anne's photos, on Flickr

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
I bought my airbags through ebay in the states but used english solenoids controls etc as they use a lot of Chinese parts over there , not air ride that why they are expensive .

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
another thing to think about is pinion angle, if you use different length bars top and bottom and have lots of suspension travel the pinion angle will change where as with equal length bars it remains constant.

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
why is cutting and welding the tunnel way above you.

not being funny as I don't know what youre skill level is,but if you cant do that ,you really don't want to start welding on suspension components.

that aside.

you have to work out the lengths you desire.

I don't buy one size fits all as all builds are different so will require you to get the tape out.

if you want youre car to sit on the floor,its going to be a lot easier and cheaper to do it now.that way you can set everything up right in one go

triangulated 4 bar is ok.i have one on my new car and that's on air and sits on the floor.ran the exhaust under the axle as it made it easier for space,once dropped

1 - 6 of 6 Posts