Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i would like to put a 4 inch drop axle on my 58 chevy suburban, i work in heavy metalwork production, so i wondered if it is posible to make a 4 inch drop axle
from heavy mild steel tube, or if it would be cheaper to buy an axle, problem is if you buy from the states shipping and import duties, can anybody help, i have
a jag clip on my 53 truck but jag clips are getting harder to find at the right price now, and i have already converted the 58 to power steering, so drop axle is
cheaper route,plus we have a profile and waterjet cutter at work, tiddytime.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Well, I drove a 58 with the pas conversion and a dropped axle and it was scary. It was an American kit that had been fitted, but it was very poorly engineered. Massive bump steer and the axle was being forced forwards on full lock.

Fit an IFS.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
trans am clips fit to your chassis width 1974 onwards,you got everything then,then you got IFS as german 8 coupe says,

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if i can find a ifs at a sencible price i will go that route, i have a mate in our club with a jag and airbags on his truck so could have a look at his, suburban is mot'd and taxed but i havnt used it for
six months because it has a bad wandering problem, swap meet will soon be here may be something there. TIDDYTIME.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts