Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 309 Posts

·
Turbo 4 pot freak
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi I thought I would have a go at showing my Pop build, I have had the 1956 Pop for about a year. I have been collecting a few parts and now that the new kitchen diner is done I have started.
I have built a few cars in the past including a 1952 prefect I built when I was in my early 20's 1 million years ago now.

My Pop is going to be done my way and not conform to any pre-conceived ideas how a Hot Rod/Street Rod should be built, it will probably not fit into any particular category but I don't give a monkeys either way as long as it is built to a good and safe standard and I am going to get it registered via a BIVA test as a few more on here are.
I would like to thank Kev (Kapri) for his invaluable advice regarding registering the vehicle and BIVA, unfortunately for Kev it wont be the last either.

I will be building all the car myself and will endeavor to produce some pictures and post them as progress goes on, I have got a Seat Cupra engine with only 225bhp at the moment but as it's turboed a nice power upgrade is easily sorted within sensible levels. I have modified a MT75 ford gearbox to fit on the engine by cutting big chunks of the bellhousing off and fabricating new sections from some alloy bar and dural 6mm sheet welded in.
I have started welding in a mini roof panel, I have repaired the boot lid and remade the lower 4" of the hinge panel and reskinned it with a fiesta bonnet mk4. I have repaired the osr wing mounting flange and made and installed a new inner osr wing, and I have just started repairing the nsr wing flange and making the new nsr inner wing section.
I'm going to make a backbone tube frame and install a multipoint roll cage independent suspension all round which I have designed old school on a drawing board, wishbones, rear uprights etc. the car is going to be low, handle to excess and be used on the road and track days, especially when it's raining and I don't Want to use my 540kg 380bhp (at the wheels) turboed bike engined Westfield.
If people don't want to see this type of car being built on this site then let me know and I won't waste anymore time.

I love a lot of the builds on this site, very good and inspirational and I go on here every day and am amazed at the quality of some of the builds and the attitude of a lot of the people on here, when I get back home I will post some pictures to see what people think and they can tell me not to bother if they don't like it.

I started building it in the middle of January this year so not much done yet.

Cheers John

·
Slacker journo
143 Posts
Sounds like an intreging build and I, for one, look forward to following your progress. It's nice to see someone using a bit of free thinking.

·
Turbo 4 pot freak
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Gearbox mods to make it fit the VAG engine and fitting starter the correct side, I took the first pic's with my phone but the pic's are crap so I now have a little cheap camera and things should get better.

Gearbox mods

Boot lid repairs

Rear bodywork valence "repaired by restorer" not pretty

Cut out the rear panel and start again

Roof panel fitting old mini roof section cut out complete channel etc grind up edges and trim and fit new mini panel twisted 180 deg

First welding steps

Not looking too bad a lot more welding to do yet

Cheers next lot of pictures will be properly visable.

Rgds John

·
Banjo snapper.
3,507 Posts
Fantastic work on the bellhousing John, looking forward to seeing more.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,052 Posts
Looking forward to this John, always thought your Prefect was off the wall for the time.

PS Happy to help :)

·
Banjo snapper.
3,507 Posts
I took this at Garys Picnic in '85.

·
Turbo 4 pot freak
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers Mark, I can attribute my rekindled interest into a Pop build to yourself, as I watched your build on your website for quite a while. loved the quality of your build and determination you have for achieving it no matter what comes along it's being done your way no compromise.
When are you going to be able to continue your build as it is tantalisingly close to being a car.....

·
Registered
590 Posts
looking good...gearbox turned out real good and much cheeper than my option:tup:

·
Turbo 4 pot freak
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Rodbuilder I have added some better pictures for you with the gearbox mods and adaptor plate thingy

Hope these may be better

Some pic's of the rear arch repairs

I seam welded the arch in on the OS and then made the inner arch for the NS then started making the NS wing flange repair panel and am waiting for more time to finish off the NS arch hopefully this weekend. Not used to this posting lark yet so much room for improvement.

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
Cheers Mark, I can attribute my rekindled interest into a Pop build to yourself, as I watched your build on your website for quite a while. loved the quality of your build and determination you have for achieving it no matter what comes along it's being done your way no compromise.
When are you going to be able to continue your build as it is tantalisingly close to being a car.....
It's dangerously close to being started again now, new workshop is mostly finished and car is now up on stands again waiting for masking up so i can finish painting the chassis. Might be in danger of getting some paint laid down this weekend!!

·
Turbo 4 pot freak
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I spent from lunchtime in the garage today and managed to get a few things done again today.
Just welded in the N/S/R arch, made a new N/S/R corner and welded it in, then made a new lower section of the N/S/R 1/4 panel that was rusty inside cut the old one off and seam welded the new one in. I am fabricating all the repair sections in 18G 1.2mm for strength and hopefully a bit of longevity, oh by the way I'm not using the old rusty chassis you see in the pic's I am just repairing the body before removing it from the chassis and then making a new one.

1 - 20 of 309 Posts