Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seems to be very few of these over here in the mainstream. They are not as popular as the usual rodded fodder. Was wondering why as they lend themselves to either rodded or custom?

·
Cadillac fanatic
890 Posts
True enough, there are NOT enough of these cars in the mainstream over in the UK, that is probably because these now change hands for serious dollars and are still quite an aquired taste, I love them, I have owned one and my older brother still has it, A 50 Coupe, chopped the works, all the usual toys and running a small block.

Of the 10 - 15 of them that are here, at one time there used to be a regular few on the show circuit, but in recent years there is only one or two that attend the shows, and more often than not, NOT the same two.... bizzare.

The great ones have come and gone, having said that the chopped 51 in Paddington looks ace....:tup:

·
I'm a grown up drunk!
2,645 Posts
Could be something to do with often when a UK built Mercury comes up for sale it goes abroad?

one of our smoke city members, Richard(the chopper)Timms has got a 50 Mercury, he must have owned it around 25 years now?

obviously chopped with other custom touches, canted B pillers etc,
though not an actual custom as its got a B/block ford sat way back,
caged and tubbed with 21.5" x 33" M/Ts.

last saw it about 15 years ago, dont think its changed much, still unfinished.

·
Having a cuppa
2,629 Posts
Merc Coupes are one of that small bunch of cars that look so right as cuustoms/rods that it's hard to imagine them as stock. 40-41 Willys would probably fall into the same category. I don't think I've ever seen a standard version of the latter.
I suppose sixty years of being top of the customizers wish list means that the supply of useable Mercs is very small and hence expensive. Basically there are more people who want a Merc than there are cars available.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Merc Coupes are one of that small bunch of cars that look so right as cuustoms/rods that it's hard to imagine them as stock. 40-41 Willys would probably fall into the same category. I don't think I've ever seen a standard version of the latter.
I suppose sixty years of being top of the customizers wish list means that the supply of useable Mercs is very small and hence expensive. Basically there are more people who want a Merc than there are cars available.
i agree, i want one & always have,but they cost as much as my house &
we couldnt live in that! :sniff:

·
is currently reloading.
844 Posts
just to give an idea of their desirableness (is that a word? it is now!!!), there was one for sale in the back of CC a few years ago. I got my copy of the mag early as a subscriber, and rang the guy staright away. I couldn't get thru, kept ringing, got thru on the 8th or 9th try, spoke to his wife who told me there was a bloke already there with the asking price. their phone had gone mental that day. Later chats revealed that i knew 3 of the other bloke who rang up for it, and also know the guy who got to it first.
truth be told, it went to the best man for the job
the archetypal kustom, IMHO

·
Paint it or Lose it
737 Posts
:

i agree, but saying that i managed to pick one up last weekend, This one will be at as many shows/runs as i can get it to!!1:D:tup:

well done on that one dude youve still gotta paint it blue and white for a bit though

·
Stroker
5,465 Posts
Managed to pick one up at the weekend!
Wow that's an understatement! Awesome!

Funny enough I was watching 'Thunderbolt and Lightfoot' last night and the stocker that the two crims had would do me just fine and dandy. :tup:

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,094 Posts
T

The great ones have come and gone, having said that the chopped 51 in Paddington looks ace....:tup:
Nope, 'fraid you're wrong there ,there's new one being built that will set the bar higher again ,traditional yet with a real new twist . It's the one that Taff missed out on,like he said it went to the best home possible.

·
Grown up? Never!
2,171 Posts
:

i agree, but saying that i managed to pick one up last weekend, This one will be at as many shows/runs as i can get it to!!1:D:tup:
Dale, Ben's been telling me about it! All I can say is sod the welding get on and make that grill:D
You'll have to put the kettle on, I've got to have a closer look!
Chaley

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I used to see one regularly around by heathrow, kinda pinky colour with early billet style rims, not seen that for years

·
Having a cuppa
2,629 Posts
your all weird they look beautiful as stock :tup:

I didn't mean to say they were ugly or anything I just meant that it's so rare to see a stocker that the rod or custom ones look more normal.
Good to see some Mercury projects out there.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts