Rods 'n' Sods banner

1 - 20 of 326 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

just started to rebuid my (devon)countryman for the 3rd time ,only had it for 35years but its that old story .took it of the road in 99 to freashen it up and fit the sills of my drag car ,by the time the sills and bulkhead were cut there wasant much holding the floor pan in so its now channeled 3inches.main reason was chassis to ground clearance !!!!!as already slamed by fitting MGB wishbones and shocks.Anyway got put to one side (long boring story)but now have the space to work on it,as I am between jobs atthe mo (anyone need a MOT Tester Malvern area?) had time to strip the doner Vaux Omega .Last 2 weeks fitted the engine and box and just set up diff mounts.So for those that like to know its 30L v6 manual,omega diff,omega hubs made into Dedion rearaxle,front hubs on scratch built arms(this is to keep abs & traction control) with airbags .Plan is for rear clam doors to be remade using VW Type 2 (bay) rear doors as the originals are naff and have no seals.will see if I can post some pics of how it was .

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
yes but with early body and grill,ali rear and roof insert.got a photo in gallery but cant get it into this post.I hate computers!!!!!!!!!well worked it out now but its thumb nailed the race car pic.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ended up cutting the rear seat/fuel tank area out ,diff now set up,working out how the trans tunnel will go.using the one out of the omega .had to mave the rear seat back 6inches or so to clear front seats as they are back a good distance ,combination of 3inch chanell and bulkhead move and long legs.now sat by the b post ,its like its had a roof chop for vision to the front ,need to get the seat lower some how.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rear section of trans tunnel welded in, started to set seat base back in.Had a day off it today as thought better spend so more time looking for work(waste of time, no jobs for eldery mot tester/mechanic ) Should get base fitted tomorrow and then I can get drivers seat and pedals more acratly set up.servo ect will have to go on bulkhead as no room under floor ,the exhaust has to go down through the chassis and thats making it tight for clutch pedal clearance.tbh its all fitting in better than I thought it would.Cant get the engine further forward as rad and fan wont fit,no lower as rack room needed under sump,but then the water pipes clear inner wings spot on,alternator clears chassis and the engine mounts cut off omega subframe line up with chassis,dont you just love it when a plan comes together!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so striped front suspension off and cut off the engine mounts that were tacked on so the engine can be moved 30mm forward.gives me a bit more pedal room .engine is higher than I would like but have to have a rear rack to fit the omega hubs ,moving it forward has helped get the rack in the grove at rear of sump.need to look for a slim rack ,20inch inner joint centres(sounds like the hack saws comming out to play).looks like I can mod the gearbox mount from the old engine to fit easily so bonus there.

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
Interesting project,keep it coming, enjoying This!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cheers chap,could have worked it but not a*sed.bulkhesd/floor is next as the body flexes on the A posts ,waiting till I can get it noddled and ribbed (future son in law has the tools,Knapstok Customs),trouble is he's rebuilding his workshop so cant get to gear at the mo.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
been busy rebuilding the engine for the daughters drag beetle ,got it fitted and running yesterday so ready for shakey next sunday if the weather gods are good!!!did the fitting over at Petes(Napstok)so made the bulkhead for the countryman when I was there.Fitted it this morning ,was going to join it either side at the gussets for the bonett hinges but as it was made full width I cut off the remains of original .much tidyer .needs a bit of tweeking as the one side is differant to the other on inner panel that goes from A post forward,not been welded square at longbridge,its ok on the outer panels just the inner not fitted the same!!!!about 4mm out of vertical compared to the other side so will have to redo flange .once its in the hole will be cut for pedal box and I can make that.pics will follow when done.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I'm liking this build, I have an ex-cop car with the rare 3.2 V-6 manual option and they pull like trains and can show a clean pair of heels to many a boy-racer, as well as return good MPG if driven below 80 mph. A very under estimated engine combo, keep us posted.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I'm liking this build, I have an ex-cop car with the rare 3.2 V-6 manual option as my daily and they pull like trains and can show a clean pair of heels to many a boy-racer, as well as return good MPG if driven below 80 mph. A very under estimated engine combo, keep us posted.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
took some pics cos we all like to see whats happening,floor and bulk head /pedal box sorted,trans tunnel and shortened gear shift in.made the drivers seat mounting with built in seat belt mounting today,spot welded the box together where I could ,need longer arms (for the welder!!!)to get to some of it.ran out of argo shield and as not got a job thats put the stop to welding.started stripping out the frame around the rear doors as its wood ,this will be replaced with box as opening needs moding for new doors being made from 2 bay window bus rear hatches(nearly fit just 5mm narrow)think I can pull and roll the sides in as made of ali.

1 - 20 of 326 Posts