Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,115 Posts
Had you thought about space saver spare wheels? Even if you needed to reverse the rim to get the offset you need.
Neil.

·
Premium Member
15,115 Posts
lots of modern engines have those plastic flaps in the inlet. they are famously bad for getting brittle and breaking up, the engine then ingests the bits of hard plastic bending valves at least. i've removed them on both vauxhall's and ford's with no noticeable effect on performance and they were only 4 cylinders. i wouldn't think a torque loss on your engine would be a worry at all, especially as your car is that much lighter than an omega.
neil.

·
Premium Member
15,115 Posts
Its a metal flap, will have to make 180 bends to sit intake pipes on top of engine anyway . will see its will be quite a while before getting to that stage.
yep, the metal ones break up too. they just cause even more damage than the plastic ones.

·
Premium Member
15,115 Posts
YES today my unit will be panel van free so will be making a start from this afternoon, parts organise first me thinks -------------
at least you can organise lots of parts into the panel now you're done with it for a while ;)
neil.

·
Premium Member
15,115 Posts
so a bit random but i just read ''like how many beetle steering columns do you need'' and the next thing my brain said to me was ''that countryman would be cool on a beetle floorpan''. especially as you seem to like vw's.
strange how our brains work and non car folks just don't get it. :lol:
neil.

·
Premium Member
15,115 Posts
i just remembered that i used to have issues uploading pics, they took forever too. i reset the 'resolution' (if that's what they call it) on my camera so they're not as clear. you can only notice if you blow the pics up to a4 or bigger so no problem on forums. might be worth looking at on whatever camera you use.
regards, neil.

·
Premium Member
15,115 Posts
it's coming along now, i like it when i can start to bolt bits back on for mockup.
a point about pics as i've found myself is when you're working on your own sometimes you miss something that becomes clear (to others if not yourself) when you look at a photo. often having a helpful comment can save you some time later on.
regards, neil.

·
Premium Member
15,115 Posts
i hope you didn't think i was having a dig, i was just explaining why i'd mentioned pics would be nice a couple of times before. when you commented about people liking pics i thought i'd explain myself.
neil.

·
Premium Member
15,115 Posts
with the axle arrangement you have and being tight like the rest of us i'd use seperate bags and shocks. plenty of room to mount both (forget exhausts, they can go out the side if need be) and much much cheaper :tup: you'd fit shocks between the axle and driveshaft in front of your crossmember and bags on the axle behind the crossmember.
neil.

·
Premium Member
15,115 Posts
I have a round bar and I need it to be square (sing that to Stones red door) , so called in on machine shop this morning. Come back in a month and we might be able to do it, bugger. Searched through my box of offcuts and found a chunk of round big enough, took me ages to cut it in half with hacksaw. Managed to get a 16mm drill from agri merchant over the road , drilled out centre to take joint and then cut flats on side . Welded some flat bar on to give correct size and then drilled through for pinch bolt, slice with grinder and tidy up with file . Had to cut top bolt hole of hub to get ball joint in correct position then welded block on, bracket from old fiesta damper chopped about and then welded on . Bolt is belts and braces . Do you all think its strong enough?
is it to locate the upper ball joint? i don't like the look of it myself.
neil.

·
Premium Member
15,115 Posts
No neither do I but at least it has enabled me to make rest of suspension, back to original design that should be fine . That is a block machined to slide over what was the strut mounting and will be bolted in place with 2 fixings , will be stronger than original strut bracket.
sounds like a better idea.
neil.

Reactions: chaley

·
Premium Member
15,115 Posts
i know i'll get shot down in flames for this but..... i use zintec as it doesn't rust when sat in your garage/shed like bare steel does. if you're welding a lot just keep the area ventilated as the fumes aren't nice but i think that's a fair trade off to have rust free steel when you need it.
neil.

Reactions: mylesdw

·
Premium Member
15,115 Posts
i did say zintec, not galvanised. i mean the light grey even coloured sheet not the one that looks like a snowflake pattern all over, if you get my drift? i use .8 wire for even really thin stuff, it's just a matter of getting the settings right as you say.
neil.

Reactions: Pop351
1 - 20 of 89 Posts