Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 553 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
The Country man 51 Austin street rod

Might call it a Country woman !!! well we are both getting a lot of changes!!!!! Right serious bit, still working on the VW panel and getting bogged down in filler-------- So started to collect bits for the build, Astra J Watt's style linkage (at £39 cheaper than the new rose joints) and just got 2 front doors . Now I did a daft thing and photo copied a side on pic twice then cut it so that when overlaid it made the door longer (aprox 6ins) and it now looks in proportions , the doors always looked to short to me. Also helps with seating position as was sat behind B post. So now have to lengthen the chassis 6ins and move B post and body back the same amount , staggered cut to floor pan . Decided to "tub" rear, well that's fit wider rear wheels that means chassis narrowing . Unless I go after market the only 17ins wide rims look like Saab 95 ones, 235 40s .
Front suspension, measured the Omega hubs (found Renault Clio bottom joint fits) and comparing it to the MGB ones previously used the spindle is 1 1/4 ins lower so it looks like bent bottom arms to compensate. Top joint will be a bolt on to A arm going into pinch bolt blind hole in a block welded to a bracket that bolts to top of hub (these are strut hubs) luckily that part of hub is low enough. Found air bag coilovers the right size (bloody expensive) and top A arms will be adjustable of course. One thing I found is hub wheel flange is an inch further in making track narrower , maybe longer A arms .
Rear is De-Dion suspension, found an axle that will fit (say axle its the tube between hubs) from a Smart of all things. Best bit is where I have my lock up the lad that owns it has just bought a engine/box to put in one and it came with subframe/axle so have one for nowt!!!Recon 6months till I start on it at least, cant wait.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Was going to put up some photos but they are stuck in P bucket and the one on my old phone refuses to down load (wtf) , do have an old thread on here under budder if the pics are still there.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Found 2 front lights , recessed Lucas the ones for flat lens. Will work to turn front side lights into indicators with orange bulbs (or LEDS) . Best make them orange as these days folks not used to white front indicators----

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Well had a "wonderful " 300 mile round trip to pick up some doors, A14 closed , lots of speed restrictions . still have some fairly sound doors to make into longer ones.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Off work with a bad toe!!! cant wear steel toe caps. got bored so looking for wheels to fit on the rear and some Saab 95 rims will do. 17ins tri Y ones look good and as they will be hidden by the spats TBH any will do with 235/40s to keep gearing the same for the ABS.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Watch an episode of Bitchin Rides where they made a single cab pickup cabin 6ins longer. Best bit was they did it the same way I was planning to do mine , roof wont be as easy though as still working that out. Recon it will be cut and see , problem is the infill shape and the fact the rear body is alloy. Looks like I need an AC/DC TIG !!!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Got a hanging on chest infection so not rubbing down filler and painting parts on the bay panel so looking at the front of the Devon had a plan. AS it will need a bigger rad and the original rad frame takes up a lot of room I have made a frame that goes under front inner wings and runs up the outer side . Its needed as its the support for the front body work . Used the original lower bits that bolt to chassis with a cross bar through that has the uprights that bolt to inner wings attached , well they will be after a whack with the MIG. will take a pic after its welded .Just need to double check its all square first.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
in isolation , still never see anyone down my lock up!!! took some photos of rad mounting. the original frame will be removed leaving a 18 1/2 is x 16 ins hole 3ins deep so should get a decent rad and fan in .

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
should have said its not finished yet as depending on rad there might be a mounting welded to bottom bar, top wing brace will be replaced to mount top of rad. can just fit Omega fan and shroud with a bit of bracket (plastic) removal as it is perfect fit between inner wings!!! will have to wait for rad to check depth to engine though. Can fit a pusher fan in front so could go that way .

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Can you change name please or can I do it? anyways fitted the frame after a bit of painting just to see if it works. Bolted inner wings in place and it all fits fine, stuck now till panel van finish but that's another thread.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Got fed up rubbing filler, well tbh waiting for some to harden so took a drill to body side where its riveted to B post just to see how easy it comes off. Some nicely formed ali rivets and the side came free after removing heads. Going to plan !!! there is a frame that roof insert sits in that is riveted to side as well so should be able to remove skin , it will get panel glued back on .Will make it easier to fit/make roll cage as well.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
joined Omega forum to get information on engine, looks like I will have to run the flap system in intake as it helps make more torque . will have to make up a new set of pipes but not sure where they will sit yet . Can do EGR delete and got told to fit 3.2 exhaust manifolds .

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Planning still going on , dyslexic brain of sorts so its always thinking 3 steps ahead. Sorted out tyre sizes so ABS will still work, 175-65-16 front and 225-45-17 rear , that also give me tyre width for rear so need to narrow chassis by 6 ins to tub . Will have to relocate body mount but that's fine as it sticks into rear inner arch anyway, chassis will be longer at that point as well. Still not worked out exactly how much yet but still think 6ins on doors looks right , they always looked to short to me . Opinions , what do you think?

1 - 20 of 553 Posts