New battery on the daily, not bad its 10 years old!! Space heater worked but I gave up after 3 hrs as welding mask seaming up and couldn't see what I was doing. Been back 1/2 hr and feet are still cold!!
Carried on welding the dash, need to make defrost vents but not in the mood. Very nearly went home as getting cold again, cant afford to run space heater and electric blower cost me extra on electric bill . Decided to mark up roof infill as first one distorted, noddled it and decided to refit and clamp to see how it lined up. Looked good so managed to spot weld the one side, tack welded the front edge and no distortion . Got my mojo back!! will make inner strengtheners between header and frame tomorrow that should hold it in alignment.
re the roof stiffeners, i know someone who used the slightly 'bowed' plywood strips that bed frames use to lay the mattress on. he bracketed them to the roof frame either side and panel glued them to the roof skin. just a thought.
I got gas (more tea vicar?) and welding gas!! thats the stiffening plates fitted. Roof not flexing now and when outer skin goes on it will be solid, front headlining section will have to be extended 6ins now. Trial fitted it ,have to get some 22 gauge now. Radio mounting is the next thing to make, tempted to weld that to roof but will most likely make it into headlining . Now have to remove the old leather cloth that I stuck on with Evo Stick 35 years ago, hot air gun me thinks.
Made a box for radio and welded it it headlining , looks a bit square so will make something to shape it. Bit stuck to finish it till roll over hoop fitted. Stuck at home for the next 3 days, road closed for resurfacing to get to my unit and not doing double the mileage to get there so brought manual home to "decode" wiring diagram into sections and work out whats not needed. Have to work out if rear window switches can work front window motors without master switch panel.
Done some more working out on wiring, the master window switch (that I dont have) has some diodes and possibly a transistor built in if the dia can be taken as true. Just need to work out if the window switches work by earthing motor or send a feed, they have a permanent live to motors so not sure. For some reason the dia shows all window motors connected by a wire that is not shown as going to anything else, now you know why my brains frazzled.
On the wiring diagram there are 2 wires that go to switch and one has down arrow and the other is up, this then goes to isolator switch for rear. but where it goes from inside the master switch I am having trouble working out.
Ign key and barrel came next day and it fits! Spent last 3 days stripping out stuff from loom, sorted window switches I think. Its not the same as wiring diagram as there is a brown earth wire that's not shown. Now have to find out if centre locking will work without tailgate and rear door locks , cut wires out but left enough to reconnect. There's still more to come out and some to rejig , relay board will have to go to left of column and that's tight for room
Well have a box full of wiring striped out of loom and still more to come, next thing is mount ABS unit so I can work out where to drill bulkhead for loom grommet holes. Will have to get a 62mm hole saw for the big one, have one for the other hole. Tried to find screen wash pump wires but nothing that matches colours in chart, meter job then.
Well thats put the kybosh on todays work, bloody freezing!! Yesterday was a wash out as well due to the building maintenance chaps fixing blocked drain in my flat. Chance off snow later today/tomorrow as well, wish my unit was built on my house with heating--------
A forum community dedicated to UK Hot Rod & Street Rod owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Hot Rods, builds, performance, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more!