Rods 'n' Sods banner

301 - 320 of 327 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Made the central locking/window loom separate ,it was only 3 wires left so used a plug from my new kit. Have been looking at wiring dia for alarm/locking/immobiliser , brain fried !! Posted a help on Omega forum , that dia does not match reality . Its daft things like feed to side repeater comes all the way from connection towards rear of loom and back to the front wing (WTF moment) , just chopped it out!!Earth runs that go 4- 5 feet to connections in loom (more WTF) . According to Omega forum its to do with crash protection and electrical emissions.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Found out why I was confused with central locking/alarm, looking at early schematics and its a later one with both in one unit. Its a 96 car and the later loom is 97 on but they changed to the single unit sometime in 96. Well at least I can test it as a stand alone now.
Staying home till temps improve as my unit takes a lot of keeping warm .

·
Registered
516 Posts
Was going to do some today but sinus bad, sniffing the Olbas oil ! Going to dummy up central locking to test, should only need feed and earth as loom separate. Could also check window motors/switches, hope my old Yeti battery still has some guts after standing for a few weeks and will take a charge.
Got to weld the rear floor on mums car as grommet hole has grown and recon it will be failed on MOT , TBH it is not within 30cm of any mounting points so should be fine but after seeing what the lad has failed some stuff on my 2nd cousin took to him I had better stich a plate on. Have to keep it going as she is in her mid 80s and totally useless with tech so modern would be to much!!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Well the bag of volts is knackered so unable to test, will borrow some tomorrow . Cut hole n bulkhead for heater fan, wasted ages looking for handed tin snips and gave up in the end. CBAD (cereal box ) prototype housing next.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Borrowed a jump pack , sorted out some cables and got the central locking to work sort of. The drivers door locks and unlocks passenger and the door key switch unlocks but it will not lock from that switch. Gave up in the end , might be the alarm built into same unit disconnected? Window motor worked so got something right.

·
Registered
516 Posts
So after spending the morning clearing space for my new toy I started to make housing for heater fan. Bit of trimming to do but nearly ready to weld in, trouble is it goes where I wanted to fit ECU . Managed to load pics after 2 weeks of trying, as you can see its like fitting a quart in a pint pot.
That plain bit of bulkhead now has a housing an inch deep and up to swage line with a pipe coming out that will go to pipe in inner wing and then to grill as it did from last build.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Bloody Imgur wont load pics again, getting pissed off with it. Any way saying to my mum that it was hard on my knees grovelling on the floor and I could do with a scissor lift. Bless her she said her savings will be mine when she has gone so she bought me one. Took some getting in my unit , pallet trucks dont like gravel drives!!! and then had to woman handle it under the Austin. Got some oil this morning and it works great, bit jerky coming down but air still in system as can't get it to full height as roof to low. Still its high enough to get up to wheel working with out bending.
Welded in the fan motor recess and worked out where to fit ECU box vertical behind wiper motor above ABS pump , will make the box tomorrow as need to weld in the captive bolts.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Ended up mounting the ECU on bulkhead , will be tidier TBH . Have to make a cover to keep crap of it. Looking for bits came across the Omega steering column bulkhead seal so cut a suitable hole , needs a bit of ironing out so hole is flat but my arms are not long enough with door on!! Tightened up lower wishbone bushes now I dont have to lie down to get to it.

·
Premium Member
14,082 Posts
if they're rubber bushes did you have the suspension set at ride height when you tightened the wishbone bushes? if not they'll twist as soon as they are and won't last 5 minutes in use. if they're poly bushes then 'carry on', lol.
neil.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Yes , they have to come out again anyway. Having a hard time finding some front rims, need some 4 1/2 j x15 with 110 x 5 PCD . Trouble is cant make front suspension till I get some.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Oh well bought the rims, lets hope they are okay . Started to construct strut tower , if wheels are as shown then its working out great so far. Imgur full again so cant load pic----------------
Turns out it was only 2 rims, ad was a bit misleading

·
Premium Member
14,082 Posts
us ford is 4.5" (114.3mm) and jag'/chevy is 4.75" (120.65mm) neither of which is the 110mm you said you need. how did you arrive at 110mm pcd? 112mm is common, you sure it's not that?
neil.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Its bloody Vauxhall , 110 x5 is as odd as. Some Jeep and Alfa stuff but nothing narrow. My mistake on PCD , they are 4.75 ins Jag. Made the basics of strut towers today, lots of bracing/ gussets to make but need wheels first.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Have to do some welding on my mums old Seat Ibiza (N reg 26 years old) today for MOT, grommet hole in rear floor has doubled in size over the last few years. Hope carpet comes out easy and the weather gods are good , having to do it outside . If the 4 post ramp is clear I will have a look first and move the front to rear brake pipes clipped close to edge of repair.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Well me dears fitted both struts and checked castor angle with me digital protractor , bugger me they are spot on the same!!!! 5.3 deg and the Omega is 5.4 +- 1 so recon that will do. Camber is adjustable and cant set hub to strut till I have wheels. Thought what can I do next so made the fuel tank hole larger so seal fitted then drilled and tapped.
le lar
20210224_155118.jpg
clamping ring

·
Registered
516 Posts
Some one asked for a pic of the Austin on another forum so as I loaded this shot from 86 thought I would add it here so you can see what it looked like in its MGB running gear days.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Wheels turned up this afternoon , left them packed till I get them down the unit. Took mums Seat for its MOT , think the tester was a bit OTT (as an ex tester ) failing front wishbone bushes on slight splits. It says EXCESIVE PLAY in manual and there is zero play they have just started to debond and also a slight crusty bit on front floor , needs to go and read the manual me thinks.

·
Premium Member
14,082 Posts
should have been an advisory on the split bushes if they're still securely bonded in place and no play.
neil.

301 - 320 of 327 Posts