Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

321 - 340 of 374 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Do you like my new front rims? Added lots of gussets to strut mounting and welded it in place, tried a long bar to see if it flexed and picked chassis up with no flex.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Well spent a few hours replacing front wishbones (that were fine!!) and welding up a holes that had been made by a screwdriver in floor and rear inner arch/sill closing plate . Should have reported him but I wont take someone's livelihood.
Had time to make some more plate for n/s strut tower, should get that welded up tomorrow . Next is welding brackets to strut , "safe" area is marked out as unpainted but thats only 3 ins .

·
Premium Member
14,196 Posts
does the mot garage offer repairs to failed cars? if so they do want reporting as they seem to be chasing work by failing stuff just to get the job of the repairs.
neil.

·
Registered
575 Posts
No as he knew I would be doing repairs, I knew he was OTT on rust as seen some stuff he failed that D took to him . Thats D that I rent unit off and he runs a one man vehicle repair and thats on his customer cars.

·
Premium Member
14,196 Posts
i meant does he offer repairs to normal punters, so he could/would be able to fail their cars and do repairs that weren't needed to make more money. if that were the case he wants reporting.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Yes he does, should have took it back to my old place. Still have a licence to test till end of month but as retiring in April not bothered to renew it (contract terminated due to bust up wrist BTW)
So in Fast Show stylie , today I will mostly be welding.

·
Registered
575 Posts

BELTS AND BRACES, well bracing anyway. Thats one side welded , just need to add sheet metal around inside. Have to take a section out of outer plate at top to clear bag top plate but had to wait till it was all together first. Cant weld the top of hub mounting to strut ,thinking of making a strap to bolt around . Over engineered ? what do you chassis builders think.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Its in the bag------trial fitted air bag to n/s front, looks okay but the bolts they sent are miles to long. Took front hubs off to check if they can be redrilled , no such luck as not enough material to get 120.65 pcd . Adapters then, thinnest is 20mm so if that moves wheel out too much I can alter lower
wishbone in an inch and adjust strut top as well.

·
Premium Member
14,196 Posts
the hubs are almost certainly cast steel so you can weld a thin (10/12mm?) steel adapter to the flange that's already predrilled to your required pcd. and yes i've done it before with no issues, a local engineering firm made them and welded them on for me (a long time ago before i trusted my welding like i do these days).
neil.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Well got mum's car MOT. He didn't do a fail for it the other day and so instead of a retest logged it on and drove it over the ramp. Then left it for 30 mins and passed it without checking saying I looked at it last time!!!! One day he will cop for it.
Welding a ring on wont work TBH as a 1/3rd of the thread will be in the weld and probably easier and cheaper to use adapters . Changing to studs anyways as I hate wheel bolts.

·
Premium Member
14,196 Posts
i didn't mean a ring around the existing flange, i meant a whole new flange over the existing one located on the hub centre meaning you can weld the edge of the old flange to the back of the new flange and the hub centre to the front centre of the new flange. if the stud holes overlap the old flange's edge just notch the old flange for clearance. that's how i did it years ago.
neil.

·
Premium Member
14,196 Posts
The chap who used to MOT my bike used to do it by driving past where it was parked at my house.
our old mot tester used to mot a freind's saab that never left the south of france. he said he could see it was ok in his crystal ball. the owner used to book a cheap return ferry crossing with the saab's reg number so there was a 'paper trail' if the french authorities need any proof it'd been back here for the mot each year.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Panelled in the o/s strut tower
and made panels for n/s today, next "fun" bit is making the inner wings fit around tower.

·
Registered
575 Posts
n/s welded up, well the bits I can get at with engine in the way. TBH never fully finished anything yet as always needed bits or other stuff doing first. Anyway made the n/s inner wing "fit" enough to line it up, not sure if it will be bolted to strut towers or just be a tight fit with a seal? It will be bolted to strut top for extra rigidity. Wanted to place bonnet on to check how much room over top of engine but way to heavy on my own, could do with checking front wings as well and will need hand to do that as well. Not much room for a big rad (18insx 20ins ) but room for a fan. Found an old VW Golf? washer bottle that fits spot on below brake master, not much room for header tank from Omega so thinking maybe a Fiesta one.
So pics of todays fiddling.

·
Premium Member
14,196 Posts
These days the area MOT bloke is sat in his car with his laptop/ phone watching what you are doing.
yeah, they almost caught him that way. after turning up and checking the days mot's they told him they were sat over the road watching all cars in and out and one on the days list hadn't gone in. he asked who was watching the rear entrance to the garage? so he got away with it.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Scratching my head how to get a strut top brace in, only place is in front of engine but inner wings cut in (see above pic) so much I cant get a mounting point in. Cant drop it lower as rad hoses run there , will work it out but its a bugger!!
Remade the front ABS unit mount with a bit of box running up from engine mounting , drilled a 1 1/4 hole through it. I blame Legend lives -----------------

·
Registered
575 Posts
Finished the n/s inner wing, its amazing the shape you can beat out of a flat bit of steel with a ball peen hammer and a vice. So with both inner wings and slam panel fitted I managed to get a hand placing bonnet on to check alignment/clearance , about 3 1/2 ins over top of front of engine so might be room to run air filter/intake over the top.
Fitted the n/s wing , unable to line it up fully till body bolted
down but looks like it needs a load of work on shut lines.
Its 20 years since the wing has been on !!

321 - 340 of 374 Posts