Well that was good service, after being let down by factors I ordered the tensioner wheel from the bay yesterday and it said 3 days delivery. Bugger me it came in the post today!! Job for tomorrow then.
Bracket made and belt sized up, did a bit to rear binnacle but need some 20g steel to finish. Not sure what to do tomorrow, see what comes to mind when I get to unit. Dont look at the bolts, some I had just to hold it on!!
Opened my box of ingenuity this morning, needed some tube about 31/2 or 4 ins dia to make a new front crossmember/ steering rack mounting. So I had just the right length of 6ins wide 3mm steel , borrowed the press and found a round block of steel that my cousin uses for bearings . It was just perfect to press in the bed to give me a 1/2 round shape, a little bit of finishing in the big vice worked well. Had to cut out more of the front crossmember than I wanted to, welded a bit of box across chassis to keep it lined up . Next is to cut the old mounting out of the original crossmember, in fact found that the original was starting to split in the middle. It will be a lot stronger this time, pics to follow when I have fettled some more.
So thats the rack mounting welded in "tube" and tacked into place in chassis, there will be some 2x2 box fitted between wishbone mountings and a 1x1 box across the top . Need some more plate to close the top off and fill in some bits. Tested the steering for bump and rod stays parallel with wishbone , will need a support bearing in column , 3 u/js to miss starter . Good job I have an assortment of new U/Js and shafts
For all those wondering why I am using odds and ends its due to total lack of money having been on U/C and sick pay for the last year and waiting for my pension payments to start in 2 weeks time . Good job I have lots of bits acquired over the last 40 odd years . It would be nice to make new bottom wishbones out of tube and things like that but the old MGB ones work , tempted to cut the spring seats out .
made the plates to go on chassis, gussets and ends of box section to rack "tube" all welded in. Started making the column support bearing, found some tube to fit the bearing I found in my box of wonders (its a sealed one) and tomorrow will make the bracket . Its tight to starter motor and will have to scallop the engine mounting bracket . Pics if anyone is bothered when done.
Top marks to you for continuing to progress your build, not letting lack of funds prevent you. Shows it can be done, less money sometimes just means more reliance on ingenuity, and makes it an even bigger challenge.
Yes not one for buying stuff if I can make/adapt it, the only thing I have spent out on apart from air ride, fuel tank, front wheels and things like steering lock and column switches is tools. There are some purchases needed soon though or I will be grinding to a halt. Roll over hoop, front wheel adaptors, front tyres, then will have a load of jobs to keep me going.
Still not worked out how to remove body safely and support it to finish welding and then paint /stone chip and seal under side. Then its finish weld chassis, rear suspension, shorten 1/2 shafts , paint chassis, plumb brake and fuel lines , exhaust ---------------------the list goes on!!!!
bearing carrier fitted, took me nearly an hour to grind the clearance in engine mounting bracket. Compressor useless ,well it wont keep up with die grinder. Shaft was notchy but it was the end of upper shaft catching on u/j due to tight angle so a bit more die grinder action. Tidied up the ends of steering rack "tube" and some welds then thought shall I try track rod ends in to see if they fit. Measuring taper with calliper the MGB one is a nats smaller than the Omega one, gave it a whack into place and it felt okay. Will save me changing tie rods if it works.
Well yesterday was a bust, nothing went the way I wanted . Cant weld the plate I made for grommet for steering shaft to bulkhead till its straitened out , tried to get centre console sitting level and it now looks worse . Still the MGB TREs will fit the Omega hubs !!! just sit a bit deeper in the taper so might thin it down a tad , well they are a lot thicker than the MGB ones . Fitted the Golf light switches in console below air ride switches , plan today is finish the rear of console then back on the dash with demist vents and fuse box mount to make.
Felt to rough Wed ,still not 100% yesterday but managed a food shop. So did the rear of the console today and welded the rest up , still a bit of fettling left . Have some tan leather for seats , looked on the bay and found tan leather cloth so might get some to cover dash, console and door cards and a sewing machine !!
Decided to make the fuse box fit the dash, spent all afternoon putting 10ins in all the wires to move it. Crimped, soldered and shrunk wrapped all the joints. Making a bracket for fuse box tomorrow and then trial fitting loom.
right I made the mounting, fitted screen vents and marked dash for clearance. Need a thin disc to cut it out, tomorrow then .So put the loom in place now I can work out where stuff goes better, wires to charge and oil light and starter now go to the right of dash instead of all the way down l/h and back . Thats a good couple of feet to shorten then. Started to detangle the rest but need my tool to release some terminals so thats another tomorrow job.
A forum community dedicated to UK Hot Rod & Street Rod owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Hot Rods, builds, performance, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more!