Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
461 - 480 of 480 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
This afftey I managed to do this after a log of grunting , swearing and a bit of help. It was not helped by the soft ground, took some persuading with a crowbar and some sheets of ply to get the lift move
d.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Now I thought I had the steering rack in the correct place, it was hard to see before. Anyway it was giving me awful bump steer so this morning I spaced the rack down 2ins and found it now gave tow in instead of tow out, cut a slice from my wooden spacer and it now works fine. 42mm spacer needed , TBH the crossmember works better with the rack lower and another example of cockups working out !!!

·
Registered
745 Posts
New steering rack mounting made, zero bump steer now. Also remade Watts linkage mount but cant get the welder to it yet. Back on the body then , made the last bit of bulkhead to trans tunnel on drivers side that I didn't have room to get at with engine/chassis in the way . Seam welded up all the joints ,just floor to bulkhead to seam now and trans tunnel to floor at front but that's for another day as had enough of welding. Did a bit of grinding back but wrist gave out, its still bad this morning so have to rest it today and do my exercises.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Still have to make hole for the heater pipes and mounting for fuel pump/injector relays and theres a shit load of grinding on the panels where inner wings bolt to , remains of original bulkhead flange and where the previous floor went.

·
Registered
745 Posts
So spent most of today grinding, the bits on inner wing panels was a PIA with 3 layers and weld but all done now. Etch primed the bulkhead and seam sealed some of the joins . Had a look underneath and not as much welding as I thought(bloody good job !) so thats my next mission.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Done a bit this afternoon after getting the panel van sorted, worked out where heater pipes will go and fitted the grommet. Chucked some more etch primer on bare. Dug out the fan we used to cool drag beetle engine, makes a change from using a heater !!!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Got down the unit before 8am when it was still "cool" and managed to do all the underside welding before 10. Seam sealed all the joins , ran out so opened my other tin of brush sealer to find it had turned to putty. Not so bad as it was great for doing some of the larger panel joins and a few holes that were hard to get to with the welder, corner joints and bits like that. Primed and painted under floor pans and sills , rubber down the bit of filler on bulkhead and primed and rattle can blacked it. Nice when you get a bit of paint on, feels like getting somewhere.

·
Registered
745 Posts
great it crashed trying to load photo and then bloody computer did an update !!!
Anyway stone chipped the under side, and fitted outer plenum cover with an appropriate tag. It even gave me a Smiths style crackle finish! Lads from hot rod club are comming to help lower the body onto my trolley tomorrow night before we go to the pub just up the road.

Attachments

·
Registered
668 Posts
It’s always an achievement when the underneath is done, looks like it’s getting closer to body work time, great work ,keep it up mate.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Well the lads came over and the shell is now sitting on the wheeled trolley so I can move it out of my way, We retired to the pub over the road for a brew (my round!) and some food (very nice ) followed by bench racing and a good natter. Jackie's Topolino caused a stir, was a good night

·
Registered
745 Posts
So after a bit of workshop shuffle moved the body over to one side , have room to work on chassis so did some welding of brackets that were tacked in place. Made the clearance 1/2 hole in out riggers for exhaust, need some bends to get down pipes to clear chassis. Stripped of the front suspension to modify wishbones, now who remembers the top wishbones I made before going to struts. Well the pins that go through the inner bushes are 5/8ths dia, so are the rose joints from the old top arms. Oh for the want of a lathe, the old top arms are a few thou bigger that the inside of the chrome moly tube I have so it was the flap disc in angle grinder to whittle it down, 3 more to do!! Now I need some pure argon for the TIG . Then I needed a lathe again to make spacers to go either side of the rose joint, looks like it will be 4 washers tacked together then or trip to machine shop. Also checked the prop shaft that was partially welded in some angle iron and its .9 of a mil out of true, recon that could be good enough but will have to check after fully welded.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Forgot to say , remember the one tyre was closer to inner arch well on that side the distance between the lower arm mountings on chassis is off . N/S is 1/4 inch further apart than O/S and it looks like it might be bent , hot spanner and lump hammer time! With the rose joints it will be fully adjustable .

·
Premium Member
14,509 Posts
rally design keep the 'rose' joint top hat spacers in different diameters and thicknesses and they're peanuts to buy. got to be cheaper than your time, the washers and the machine shop costs surely? i know stop calling you shirley, lol.
neil.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Yes woke up this morning with that thought about spacers, need to measure the washer spacers and divide by 2.. Will also be able to fit gaiters around joints.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Absolutely knackered, spent all day cutting and grinding making 2 new front wishbones. managed to move the bent lower mounting, MAP gas and lump hammer and it measures okay. In fact it bent that easily I think some gussets are needed .
Going to use 5/8th bolts instead of the original pins , cant decide if welding the large plate/washer in place is going to make it hard to assemble or if its needed to make it stronger . Small disposable pure Argon canister didnt last long enough to weld the chrome moly tube at at £15 a go recon it might be cheaper to get a rent free bottle.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Slotted the top holes in the strut to hub mounts and found 2 offset washers, took ages to slot the holes with my die grinder and had to fix compressor as it blew the gasket on the exhaust side . Thought the grinder was slow!! Assembled the n/s to check for clearances and geometry, strut sits vertical now and almost no camber change over travel but will have to lean it in a bit as not enough clearance between bag and tyre. Still with the strut top mount adjustable and the strut to hub adjustable should be able to get it right. Spent a good hour looking for the other TRE and turnbuckle ,went through all the parts and shelves and the bench but nowhere to be seen. I know its there some place as I never throw stuff like that out , up side is bench and parts shelf are "tidy" now .
Recon the goddess of hot rodding was looking after me , bottom ball joint at better angle and with the hub adaptors as well its worked out better . What do you think reade
r?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Adjusted the strut for air bag clearance (1/2 ins) but now it rubs the 1ins bar running up inside of strut tower. will have to cut it out and replace it with some box or tube on the other side of the sheet steel. Was going to put a gusset in anyway just it will have to run all the way up now. On the good news front managed to finish the ABS pump mount and paint it, while I was looking for other stuff came across the old Omega dash braces and the end of one was spot on shape .
Found the other TRE , it was under the ABS pump on the shelf!!!!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Picked up the bottle of Argon, found the full size reg diaphragm leaks so had another reg but the pipe fitting was wrong . After a bit of searching I found a fitting that could be moded , thats solder 2 bits together and it works. More than I could say for the TIG weld quality, tube has got a bit rusty and even with cleaning up it still "flared" . One arm done and primed.

461 - 480 of 480 Posts