Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
481 - 500 of 526 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Well the plan was to fit the new lights to the VW but it was pissing down so tried to do a bit of TIG welding on the other wishbone, need some electrodes so gave up. Fitted the rear axle to work out air bag fittings , now the bags only have 3 1/2 in of travel and are 41/2 ins tall when fully compressed so 8ins tall. Axle on full drop is 91/2 ins between bag mounts and when on full up there is only 31/2 ins between mounts so looks like bump stops (Landy rear) so bags are not sat on internal stops and straps to limit axle drop. need to chop a "slot " in top of axle to fit lower mounting plate and also have to trim one of the diff mounts for bag clearance.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Spent the last few days sorting the rear axle, fully welded and boxed with the air bag mounts done. Ground the welds down as much as possible and gave it a coat of etch . Off to see the machine shop in the morning to see if they can turn up some tubes to press the spherical joints into for the top links on the 4 bar. Axle going back in to work out where the exhaust will go , next thing is getting the 1/2 shafts shortened.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Axle back in, air bags fitted just need to cut a bit more from the n/s diff mount but thats a job for when chassis flipped over. Exhaust will defiantly have to exit in front of rear tyres through fender skirt. Machine shop making the tube bits for top link and they should be done tomorrow . Pics of rear su
spension at full up and full down , plenty of bag clearance.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Me man came through with the machining so I made up the 2 upper links and all fitted. Opened up the holes for the pipe fittings for the bags just need some right angle ones , I do have some but the thread is wrong . Thats it for the best part of a week as off to a VW show over the weekend (Thurs to Sun but sorting camper tomorrow and will be unsorting it Monday!)

·
Registered
803 Posts
Back on it, cleaned up the rear callipers and the bleed nipple and pipe union came undone with no probs. Pistons are dead free as well , started on a front one and that's all good. Found a Beetle front hose brand new in my bits and after making a mounting bracket it fits spot on. Worked out handbrake cable run , can't fit it till body back on but looks okay. Also measured up the exhaust , will see how much bits are from local custom exhaust folk. Spacers for front rose joints turned up so that's my job for tomorrow.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Longer rear wheel studs came , spacers fitted . Would have preferred different wheels , maybe if I ever get some dosh.
Have to mod the front strut towers/chassis as after narrowing the front suspension the brake calliper fouls on lock. Good job I never got round to boxing that bit in . More gussets and bracing then. Fitted the one strut air bag and had to shorten all the fixing bolts by 3 threads or they would have rubbed on bags. PIA as 24 to do !

·
Registered
803 Posts
Ended up chopping loads out for calliper clearance, totally replaced the rear bit of box and made a brace /gusset between lower chassis and what remains of original damper mounting. Still a bit left to do but the other side will be a lot quicker now I know how much to do.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Other side done and also TIG welded the other wishbone, new tungsten's sorted the welder out. Totally pooped now and I was as black as a chimney sweeps brush, can still smell burnt metal even though I wore a filter mask. Bolts turned up for the front wishbone joints, job for tomorrow that will make a change from welding. Still have grinding/cutting to do-------

·
Registered
803 Posts
Productive day, finished and painted the wishbone, bolts are spot on for inner joints. Made brackets for front brake hose that will bolt to strut, now just have to work out position for end to fit through strut tower. Need some clips to hold it in, cant find the ones from the Omega . With a touch from the grinder I recon some Beetle ones will work, just need to find some in my stuff. Photos when its all fitted up.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Spent the morning going through the boxes of bits for the Austin and sorted them out into some sort of sense , hopefully it will be easy to find bits now-----------
Made up the bolts for front wishbone inners and fitted them up , bump rubbers in place as well so it takes the load of front bags on full drop. Found 3 of the spring clips (out of 4) for front brake hose and fitted one up to see how it clears, should be fine. Going to see local exhaust fabricators in the morning to see what they have and pick up a bend for down pipes. Some pics I promised.

·
Registered
803 Posts
As you can see there is course adjustment for castor with the spacers and fine with the rose joints , in fact it is all totally adjustable now.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Went to the exhaust place this morning, over £100 cheaper and they are making it to order. Front pipes tacked together , will weld them up when I have the rest of the system tomorrow.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Well I will be totally exhausted tomorrow, picked up the bits today though I might need some more straight pipe . Have some 10mm stainless bar to make hangers and picked up some 10mm steel bar from blacksmiths , just need some rubbers now. Fitted the fuel line mounts from the Omega , plastic pipe and it runs close to silencer so recon heat shields will be fine .

·
Registered
803 Posts
Run out of filler rods, have some on order but they wont be here till next week. Need to heat and bend the one down pipe I finished, looks like the welds pulled it out of shape (bugger) and I have run out of MAP gas, hope to tack the bits together tomorrow after I have finished gearbox mount. Eyes and wrist knackered after several hours TIG welding, have got the welder sorted and some of the bits where it was new stainless and good (close/touching) joints look almost tidy!
Found the original down pipes are stainless as well .

·
Premium Member
2,296 Posts
Glad to see your continued progress.
How far are you now from going for the 1st drive around the block?

·
Registered
803 Posts
Exhaust almost there , mountings to make and tail pipes but they will have to wait till body back on. Its all a bit tight ,just hope the engine doesn't rock to much.

·
Registered
803 Posts
The crossover is to mix /give back pressure and length as pipes will exit in front of rear wheels as no room around axle.

481 - 500 of 526 Posts