Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
541 - 560 of 565 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Glued the skin on with just enough panel glue left in tube! All clamped up and looking like a hedge pig , That was it for today as its 24hr wait till it cures .

·
Registered
858 Posts
Well its gone of and holding , edges beaten over and corners welded on . Had to make a new captive plate for the door catch to fix on, turns out the section I got and was marked up as 68 to 71 is 71 to 79 and the mounting holes are different . That took a couple of hours with most of the time spent grinding the weld out with die grinder as its in a recess . Pleased with the shut lines , well the horizontal ones as cant set the vertical yet till seal fittings are done and n/s body panel glued (need more panel adhesive ) . Stripped the heater and fitted new foam to the flaps as it had all perished away, Metro unit is a bit of a fiddle . Anyway took some pics if you can see the shut gaps.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Bumper
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Asphalt Road surface

·
Registered
858 Posts
Well dear reader that is it for a bit , off to get nosed and decked!! so will be laid up for a couple of months .
Cleaned off the bench, put all the tools away and swept up. Sorted out the port-a-loo and put a curtain up , last time to do a stand up wee in a bucket !! At least I can take the laptop with me to hospital .

·
Registered
858 Posts
You know I started this build 20 years ago initially as a tidy up and fit the sills from the race car that turned into a 3ins channel . Work and life got in the way and other projects, you all know what thats like!! Now that I have got stuck in and its coming together as I want I am already getting bored self isolating and it will be worse as looks like it will be new year before I am fit enough to pick up tools again . Time to work out details on interior panels and trim , like the rest of the build it will be suck it and see.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Made my memory board , trips to Gator Nats , Sweden , and 40 ye
Motor vehicle Automotive design T-shirt Font Art

ars of Long Marston and the Roasters Hot Rod Club.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Stuck at home so had my thinking cap on working out how the rear lights will go. Decided to do a triangle with rounded corners with point facing in. The original SINGLE rear lamp was a D shape so echoing that.

·
Registered
858 Posts
So sat here twiddling my thumbs I have been working out the interior stuff , to replicate the original that was just wooden strips the side panels will have wood trim "rubbing" strips.
When I am back in action I think I will fit suspension before doing more body work then hopefully the temperature will have warmed up. Will have to get my youngest to get his car moved so I can get it on the lift, I dont mind giving him a hand but not doing it on my own!

·
Registered
858 Posts
Managed 4 hrs before getting stuck, need some steel. Painted front hubs and the heater cover , have to wait for it to dry now so hope to assemble the heater tomorrow.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Well the pixies had been in my unit while I was away moving bits ! Found them in the end so labels stuck back on heater controls and damper adjuster fitted to front struts . Finished a bit of welding on struts and now painted so on Fri the hubs can go back on and get fitted to chassis.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Front suspension fitted today , steering rack arms (tie rods) modified. Think I need some new ones if I can find Chevete ones . Sorted the rack fittings as well but steering column is now short due to lowering the rack so thats tomorrows job.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Column fitted , need to mod the centre bearing mount now . Inner wings back on and some pipe work route sorted. Bonnet release cable fitted in a hidden place . Will post pics when I have time.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Next is making some sealing covers for strut tops and plates to seal inner wings to strut towers. Wiring loom run and clips next and then paint inner wings? All stuff I can do without spending ££s

·
Registered
858 Posts
Today I hav bin mostly drillin ole's .
Holes for air pipes grommeted through bulkhead under rear seat so they run along top of trans tunnel , grommeted hole for screen wash pipe through firewall and bolt holes for rad support bracket . Sorted steering column out and the support bearing bolted on with no mods.
Premature electrification.
Started to run the main battery cable after fitting the through bulkhead junction , need to adjust the hole through side panel behind B post first as it is a bit tight to bend cable through.
Consolation.
Dragged centre console out as need to cut room for air pipes , was a bit late to fire the grinder up so job for Friday.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Didnt make Friday, sinus bad. Did a bit today after the space heater was fired up , main battery lead fitted then started on panel above rear hatch. Coming out okay but I gave up at 3pm as feet numb from cold .
Watching Speed is the new black last night gave me some impudence to tackle forming some panels , wish I had there tooling.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Keep at it. I hate those days where you're in the cold all day but not alot to show. I haven't got a heater so 1 degree temps fitting rods n pistons :rolleyes: I think it's like child birth you forget how bad it was :D not that I've given birth ( only to a few car projects )

541 - 560 of 565 Posts