Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
561 - 580 of 700 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
In the gutter
After a bit of fettling I got the panels to my satisfaction , spot welded them into place and with a bit more fettling they will fit fine. Corners need a bit of work , need some panel glue now to fix the Ali top panel in place.
Tried the original gutter (steel so can be welded on) with a temp screw to make sure hatch clears ,it might look a bit off but it will be needed . What do you think? thats if anyone is bothered to read this!
Aircraft Hood Airplane Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior
Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Cheers folks, you used to get a marker of how many views on the old site but cant see any on here so never sure if anyone has looked. Next fun job is seeing if the high level brake light will fit below gutter .

·
Registered
955 Posts
Just read through the complete thread, tenacity is the word that comes to mind, you have certainly kept busy and doing it your way? Think I would have kept it simple myself but well done indeed 😄👍

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Well that went okay, brake light tucked under gutter nicely . Made some brackets to hold it in place that I can get at through header rail , also made some bits up to join the VW hinge panel to the top rail. all welded in place and chucked some primer on. Measured the roof insert to make sure it still fitted the hole and its fine (phew) ,just need some panel adhesive now if I can afford it.
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Gas Hood

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Ordered some panel glue , no food this week then ! Made the end plates for rear valance and spot welded them to the centre section, spent ages getting the panel flat. It was warped from welding the number plate recess on , almost there just a bit of fettling to get the number plate recess flat . 2 infill panels to make and work out where the lights go. Took a pic but phone on charge so later.

·
Premium Member
2,405 Posts
Working in the cold is tougher for us as we get older.
Good on you for persevering with it.
I put a wood burning stove in my garage, warms it up a treat.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
So glued and welded rear valance in place , glued some strips to roof joints so I can fix rear section in tomorrow . Wish I could afford a battery operated mastic gun, had to use pipe grips to squeze the lever as the glue is very thick.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Rear valance okay , one of the ali strips didnt stick to the roof very well so redid it before fixing the rear roof section n place. Might drill the holes for rear lamps next, also wondered if a simple tube bumper would look okay below number plate? I have some 1 1/4 chrome molly that would do.
Motor vehicle Hood Bumper Vehicle Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Wood Trunk

·
Registered
206 Posts
I think this is amazing, and all looks very factory to me, which is really hard to do. Bumper wise, I'm a fan of stock looking trim. Maybe something like adapting a VW T2 camper or similar item? Morris minor also comes to mind, but may be too narrow?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Took me all day but rear lamps fitted, hole saw was a few mm small so had to open the holes with my die grinder. Well my small compressor cant keep up with it and then there was a power cut, good job there is a generator on site. Have to make tags for the screw fixings now , the white bit on reflectors will be made black . The CDS tube looks okay to me , will work fine for protecting rear valance from parking bumps .
Wheel Tire Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
2,405 Posts
Replying to earlier post, I read your thread but don't always reply.
I've got a spare Morris minor front bumper complete with valance if you want to try it.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Thanks but going with the tube nerf bar. Started to make and fit rear hatch seal retainer ,bit of a fiddle as cant bend it tight enough to make the shape I wanted to fit on box frame so will have to make it to weld onto box on the corner. TBH hardest bit is cutting the sheet steel so it has a good straight edge as that will show when doors open.

561 - 580 of 700 Posts