Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
601 - 620 of 740 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Rack is 18ins inner joint to inner joint. Bugger missed the parcel man yesterday morning , I was on the bog------
Did a few odd bits this morning, but soon ran out of things to do. Was going to try the roof infill but cant get it down on my own easily and worried I might scuff my lads Honda . Asked him for a hand but he is giving his brother a hand to move house (no body bothered to tell me ! kids!!) , should offer to help but not feeling up to it at the moment as back is still giving me grief. One reason why I need it on the ramp.

·
Premium Member
15,115 Posts
No its been narrowed a lot , inner wishbone pivots are I think less than 2ft apart !
at least if they're available you could swap out the worn track rods and send it for exchange if they need one back. you keep your narrowed centre but have new track rods.
neil.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Track rods turned up this morning, tried them for size and will have to get some extenders made . Roof infill fits (just) ,had to clamp it down but thats okay as it bolts in . Got 2 dustpans full when I brushed it off but it has been suspended from the roof for years .
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Well my mums old Seat has failed MOT on rear of sill, not surprised but need to put it on my lift to do it properly . Messaged my lad to move his car again ,btw he has had 4 months notice, and he has yet to ask his mum if it can go on her drive or sort a trailer. Messaged one of the lads in hot rod club to see if I can borrow there's . If not need to get a car transporter cheap.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
One of the lads in my hot rod club will move it on Sat ,he has just bought a pick up to tow his trailer and is offering a towing service . Doing it at cost so just need to cover his fuel.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Well that was fun, had to jack the Honda up to get the lift pads out and then it beached on the arms at front, good job I have some old worktop to put under front wheels. Bloody thing is so low its in a hole!!!!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Well the Honda is out the unit and on my lads drive, we had to remove the front bumper to get it on the trailer!!! Good job it was just a few screws, lift repositioned and mums Seat is on. Cleaned up the bits ready to weld tomorrow. Now can I remember how to weld to rust and sealer? (just kidding)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Seat all welded, sealed, stone chipped and painted all by 11.30 ! Quick clean up and managed to turn the Austin around , Lift not so easy, lots of grunting, sweating and crowbarring it is now sideways underneath . Lift pads still in same place as if it was under fore and aft so its stable but I can now fit rear suspension and engine with nothing in the way.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Good days graft has the diff and rear suspension fitted, bit of a faff getting the 4 bar bolts lined up . Joints aching ,knees clunky so took my time. had to cut an access hole in floor pan to get the top fixings and connector for rear air bags . Now just to make you all jealous look at all the room I now have to work in !!!
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper

Car Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Wheel

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Cracking on, rear bags bolted in and limit straps fitted to take the load from the bags on full drop . Took rear discs off to check handbrake shoes and mech , its been stood 20years and a lot of that was outside so was expecting it all to be seized. Bugger me its all free including adjusters!!! Cleaned the discs up and they look okay. Started to fit the handbrake cable, was fun welding the bracket to the hub end of beam sitting down underneath . Made a bracket to take front end of cable from some tube and a bit of inch box, needs bolting through floor next . I can only get to drill one from below as diff in the way so hope I can drill the other from above. BTW the cable now runs facing forward to the hub as hubs are fitted facing the other way so cable has to pull from behind but thats okay for length , just means it has a sharpish curve . Will take some pics when its done tomorrow

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Been thinking (I know steady on) about the fuel pickup /pump and gauge swirl pot . Now its an alloy tank and I made the swirl pot out of a piece of alloy tube. The problem is fixing it to the bottom of the tank so the thought was fix it to the top plate that bolts down to tank so it sits on bottom .

·
Premium Member
15,115 Posts
i wouldn't have it touch the bottom of the tank as it could chafe through over time with vibration. you could add a bar across the bottom of the swirl pot/tube and tap one or two holes in it. then bolt it to the tank bottom from outside with fibre/copper washers on the bolts. that'd hold it steady, one would do it. it'd also be a useful drain bung too.
neil.

·
Premium Member
15,115 Posts
use a dowty seal on the bolt, that won't leak. lots of tanks have drain bungs with just a copper washer. maybe smear some epoxy on the washer on final assembly, you'll probably never have to remove it and if the washer sticks to the tank it won't matter so......
neil.

Reactions: budetta
601 - 620 of 740 Posts