Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
621 - 640 of 745 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Roof infill wrapped and back in the rafters, all the tools put back and a good sweep and vac to get rid of all the dust.
fitted the main front to rear loom to see where the abs wires go, its a sod to fit so it might stay put , anyway sorted the cable runs front and rear . Next job was fitting the engine and box, had to take the inner wings off.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Pass the shoe horn, engine and box fitted eventually . Had to take a mounting off and use a big lever--------
Managed to get a trolley jack under the gearbox and fit the crossmember with a struggle as the lift was in the way.
Inner wings back on and wiring loom positioned , bit of rejigging needed to get the length right . Engine loom needs a bit of sorting as well , wires to airflow and intake temp sensors have to be shortened by about 2ft plus. started to mock up intake , will have to fit bonnet to check for clearance . Any how a pic to show how crammed it all is but its still better than some modern motors.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Car Gas

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
TBH strut towers not really in the way, so fitted fuel pipes from engine , sorted some wiring and cut up some alloy bends to make intake (wish my TIG did alloy) . Placed the bonnet on ,was going to fix it to the hinges but cant find the bolts. Well it was over 20 years ago that it came apart , its a bugger as they are 1/4 BSF . Managed to find 4 in my boxes of old shit that will do to fit when I can get a hand , will have to order some . Anyway intake is very close to the rib down inner centre of bonnet, its the flange where the 2 half's are spot welded together so it looks like a MIG weld down the outside and grind it away . Tube running forward will need to be oval

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
So after soldering the shortened wiring and tidying it up the rad went in , tried bonnet back on to see how much clearance there was above rad. Daisy cut the one piece to blend it in as the intake size drops down onto the throttle body then dummy fitted it in place with racer tape and some wood blocks (as you do) . Still have a 180deg bend to cut in half to join onto the plenum piece at the rear and that will be remade in a smaller dia , was trying to copy the original for length and dia . Next problem is where the F do I put an air filter as only 3 ins between top of rad and bonnet , tried intake from rear but think thats worse and it shortens intake length . Think the intake tube running to the front will have to be oval and angled down . What do you folks think? any ideas?
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Rim

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Been thinking again ,well it just came to me that a sectioned piece of tube running across the front with a panel filter set in so its at a 45deg (or what ever fits) with a lid that has a scoop on top and bonnet brace panel cut so it has a scoop picking cold air through the top of the grill will work. It can bolt to the 2 "rams horn" bits and they are bolted to heads as there's some spare bolt holes in the right place . Need to find out if M still does mobile alloy welding.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Back from my weekend on the Isle of Wight , good time was had and a carvery every night !! Managed to do some today, worked out some more intake pipes . Stainless BSF bolts turned up and I managed to get a hand to fit bonnet , need to cut a relief in the brace bar to clear air flow meter but the flange that I thought needed cutting looks fine. Wish I had fitted the engine an inch or so lower but then the steering column would be going through the mounting . M has said he can weld it , need to order some more straight tube and hose to finish.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Decided to try front wings on again and check for clearance on lock, inner wings need a mod at rear due to the severe slamming ! Ended up raising the arch 2ins , the n/s one had a split again that I repaired 40 odd years ago on the first build. Have to redo all the repairs on them as well due to rust under the filler .
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Synthetic rubber

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
15,122 Posts
a lower profile tyre would help a lot with clearance, it'd save you a lot of work for sure especially on the inner arch bit.
neil.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
But then the ABS wouldn't work and the sensors work speedo . I like a challenge !!!! I want it to be a daily driver with "modern " comforts , pic of cut arch is still not on full drop just ride height so will still be tight when sat.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Yup, 165 15 on front and 235 40 17 rear (think its 40 not 45) . Done the other side arch and the n/s inner wing all tacked together ,loads of clearance now. One of the next "fun" jobs is separating the front wings as all the bolts rusted solid , angle grinder to the rescue. Going to weld the sections together to delete the plastic beading .

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
productive day today , backs killing after bending over welding and grinding for 6 hours. Still n/s inner arch done , just a few pin holes and a final grind to the welds with a fine disc. N/S front arch separated and old repair replaced on front flange , bit of a bugger as patch needed stretching and then shrinking followed by another stretch so that was swop the jaws and then swop them back. Patch still needs a bit of fettling and some pin holes to do and I found a split where the grill fits.
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Gas Bumper

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Sorted the o/s inner wing, next is doing the outer wing. n/s outer wing not lining up, had to pack body mount to make it something like . Still have to alter the bonnet shut line where it fits wing , there's an annoying triangular gap that is factory stock and it does my head in . Need to get wings fitting first and doors on then some very careful measuring

·
Premium Member
15,122 Posts
as soon as i read ''had to pack the body mount'' i cringed and thought 'the doors won't fit now', lol. and shouldn't the doors be fitted/gapped to the body before the wings are then fitted/gapped to the doors and not the pther way round? fit the doors first and only 3 edges to line up (top, bottom and rear) but with the wings on they have to fit on all 4 sides.
neil.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
yes thats the next thing fitting the doors , not sure why the front body mounts needed packing. Maybe from when it was channelled? but it was done on a level floor and carefully measured. Wings are just being fitted to align with scuttle and bonnet at the moment , rear edge can then be made to line up with door .

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Well looks like I can take the one packer out of the front body mount, next prob is the bonnet is as far back as it will go on o/s and its a good 10 mm plus gap . Now thats strange as nothing changed on that bit , will have a fiddle to see if it adjusts somehow.

621 - 640 of 745 Posts