And after some cutting and bashing its much better, took the one spacer out n/s front body mount and tightened them all up and the n/s door still fits the same . still need a lot of work yet, bonnet sticks out either side where it goes against scuttle by a good 1/4 in but is level with the top (WTF) so need to slice and dice that part to pull it out . Had to get another sheet of 20 gauge steel ,hope its the last one as its doubled in price.
So after repairing the o/s wing and welding the 2 sections together the front sheet metal was trial fitted , not to bad but the whole lot needs to go over to the o/s for the bonnet to line up. Will have to alter the inner wing front mounting bracket as its not adjustable , it will be afterwards ! Can test by just taking the mounting bolts out.
Inner wing mount done , much better. Now I had to cut and raise the rear of inner wings by 20mm , well n/s done and wing sat back on but it needs to go back 6mm and it wont slide . Job for Friday then as I have stuff to do tomorrow.
So spent 2 hrs getting the bonnet to line up with the scuttle , had to lengthen the adjuster holes on n/s to get it high enough. Also replaced the hinge bolts with stainless BSF , rear gap will never be SEMA as it needs a bigger gap other wise it will catch the edge when opened due to the way the hinges work.
Made the panels for the back of wing and tacked in place then started on scuttle to get it to line up, found almost a 1/2 inch of lead in top section. Welder dont like lead !! Still needs some weld and grinding but I can only stand so much in one day. Have to make a triangle filler bit for top of wing to
No pics as nothing looks a lot different but that's 2 days so far working on the o/s wing, inner wing done and new rear section of outer wing to door made. It needed bringing forward 10+mm at the bottom as it overlapped door, got the rule out first to see why but apart from that it all measures okay and straight edge across headlamp holes is flat and top of wing to floor spot on. Must be wrong from when I made the repair 40 odd years ago ! Found the o/s wing was cracked where it bolts to scuttle and the tab broken off at the front where cross brace bolts so must have been some stress, mind you the old chassis flexed like a wet carboard box.
Spending £s I cant really afford but- Electric die grinder on its way as my asthmatic compressor cant keep up with the air ones ,have twist lock sanding discs to fine grind the welds. Also managed to find some headlamp mounting panels for a Mini as the ones on the Austin are very rusty/rotten , expensive though £44 delivered but was the only ones I could find.
This front sheet metal is turning into a mare, did some pinhole chasing and bits on the o/s wing and tried it on. Split the scuttle and welded it so it lines up with rear of bonnet, all good so far . Played around with the wing adjustment and bonnet lined up okay but then I checked headlamp height/top of wing and its 10mm lower on o/s so corrected that and bonnet doesn't fit GRRRRR. In the end after a lot of fiddle its better but still a bit lower on o/s but at least bonnet looks fine (ish) . Need to fit the grill next to see if the spacing is right. Bloody parcel deliver person, my door bell in entrance hall to flats rings my phone and spoke to them and opened door remotely . Left them a note as well and they still didn't leave it, text said will try again Sunday , its the die grinder I need.
Well the die grinder came, stayed in to get it. A lot bigger than I thought it would be, 2 hand job!! New tube of panel glue and a welding apron as well so now I have the battery for the mastic gun there is lots I can be doing.
Tried the die grinder, its a monster and you do need to hold it in 2 hands. Sanded down some welds fine. Made the front valance fit much better , grill fits fine . Front of wheel arches sorted with a nice radiused patch , nearly out of welding gas again so tomorrow its try and glue the body side back on that didn't take
Depends how good your gonna have it when it's finished but.... I'm guessing your not going for re chrome. Sooo, if you get an electro plating place to 'wash' the chrome off for you (our local ones do it for nowt) You can get it powder coated chrome. I've had it done a couple of times on motorbike wheels that I've been too tight to have rebuilt, and it looks pretty smart.
One of those day when you wonder why, battery mastic gun doesn't have enough go to push that epoxy panel glue out but works fine on Tiger seal so had to put the glue in manual gun and do it the hard way. Worked out that by putting back of handle on workmate and pushing down on trigger it put out a good blob and worked it in with a lolly stick.
Then the die grinder has a 6mm chuck, of course the grinder tips I have are 1/4 ins and wont go in but at least the sanding discs fit.
A forum community dedicated to UK Hot Rod & Street Rod owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Hot Rods, builds, performance, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more!