Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
661 - 680 of 685 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Well a good weekend away, ate to much, drank to much !!!! Went to see the new granddaughter yesterday aaahhhhhhhhhh.
So back to it, used up the dregs of welding gas and then glued some bits on rear of roof that didnt take. Need to get a large countersink for tailgate hinges and some countersunk screws, also need some m8 x 1.25 countersunk for door hinges .

·
Registered
984 Posts
Bloody internet has been down for 2 days, anyway did a bit yesterday. Worked out where the fuel filter fits ,now need some 8mm hard line to connect to the rest . Made a battery earth lead and bolted it to the chassis and fixed the loom that runs to o/s rear lights and fuel tank in place with P clips . Forgot the can of spray black so ran out of stuff to do, need that welding gas but run out of funds. Not happy with the rear storage bin and I have enough steel to remake it and TIG to weld so think thats my next job

·
Registered
984 Posts
Made the rear tray , measured it very carefully and folded it up allowing for bends and it still came out to wide GRRRRRRR . so after some battering it now fits . Needed some 3/4 thin wall box to make up where it sits , mmmm what's that in Ds scrap pile? An old garden arbour and its 3/4 !!!! Bit thin wall as had fun welding it in place but its only a spacer. Got some paint from Lidl , looks like its a bit like Smootharite but covers much better and spray is good. So did the front wing closing panels and rear tray bits. Just hope they have some left when I go food shop this week.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Spent 2 days digging my mums veg patch (yup that bad) and now have a bad back----------Anyway did a bit , finished the tray and painted them all . Sealed the bodysides to arches and sill and stuck in some small panels to close off rear corners, used 2 tubes of Tiger Seal!!! Taken front wings off (again) to finish welding and fit headlamp mounts , had to give up at 2pm as back getting to bad . Some pics anyway.
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Grey Bumper Rolling

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Rim Automotive wheel system

Car Vehicle Grille Hood Automotive lighting

Tool Bumper Office supplies Automotive exterior Gas

·
Registered
984 Posts
Out of order ,last should be first. One job that does need doing is changing where the air pipe connects to the o/s strut , struts were not handed and the only way I can fit it without fouling is facing forward . Bugger---------

·
Registered
984 Posts
Coming on, finished welding front wings (I hope) . Took me all day yesterday to make repair panel for headlamp /top of wing, cut out the flanges inside wing and weld in headlamp mounting ring . Finished it off this morning and did the same to the other one only I needed less than a 1/4 of headlamp ring and just a small repair below headlamp. Tried a test piece to see if I could make gutters and it worked, used the curved rib maker and trimmed the one side off. Worked so well I have made both sides and will attempt to weld them on tomorrow ,I
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

hate welding uphill!!

·
Registered
984 Posts
Bloody windows update , no internet but have managed to sort it (ok restarted laptop!!) Good day today ,welded the gutters on . Bit of a game with o/s but a map gas and hammer and big grips sorted it . Like I said before the one roof side/top of A post is very different side to side and the n/s gutter fitted , still need to make a short section to finish that side off and theres some dolly and hammer work needed al
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior

ong with trimming but I think its come out alright .
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Automotive exterior

·
Registered
984 Posts
Finished the n/s ,ground all the welds down and went along both sides with Hammer and dolly (tail of the comer fits a treat) . Needed a break from welding so cleaned and painted the brake callipers ,shopping tomorrow (food) so paint should be okay to refit them Fri.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Had to fix mums 96 Seat, blocked fuel filter after she put E10 in -----------
Anyways back at the Austin brake calliper's fitted and plumbed in , ordered pads and fitting kits when in factors collecting fuel filter. Monday before I see them , need to connect res next. Started sorting door glass guides , bugger the one is a bit tight to door lock and needs moving as far as adjustment will allow. Might be some odd shaped glass to fit but as long as guides are parallel it will work.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Made the glass guide for drivers door , started on passenger but where is that bit I need . Found it in my garage at home when I got back . Fitted brake pads as they turned up today, cant get the pins to knock in on rear ATE callipers and they look to short. Pads flap about as well so makes me wonder if they are vented callipers on solid discs. Question for Omega forum. Will be having a go at making a window glass template next.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Well sorted problem with rear pads, fitting kit is shit !! Made the passenger door glass guides then dragged a sheet of thin ply out and cut a template for the glass to see if it works , bugger trimmed a bit to much of the front edge so will have to remake it but it does work. Cold and tired so gave up at 2pm ------

·
Registered
984 Posts
Finished and painted the covers for access hole to rear air bag pipes , cut a new bit of ply for window. After a lot of fettling it fits but took a wee bit to much of front edge again , will have to get some more ply (**) . Started working out where (and if) the window motor will go . Not to bad just sticks out at top a bit but the door trim was going to flow into dash so loads of room. Held up now as need the bit that goes on glass for window lift to fit to, the Omega one is glued to glass . Search down the scrappies to see if anything else Vaux
Wood Composite material Gas Rectangle Hardwood

hall is the same . Anyway some progress pics.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Car Hood

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive lighting

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design

·
Registered
984 Posts
All behind this morning, bloody overslept ! Made some sections up to fill in the relief on the doors for trafficators and welded them in, did take a pic but cant be arsed to load it. Correct pins came for rear pads so thats done and the hoses have turned up to connect reservoir to master cly . Ground some welds down but need new flap disc, shopping day tomorrow.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Pipes cut and connected to master cyl , woops found a load of loose unions . Still it helped bleed some, need correct nipple for n/s front calliper (bugger threw the old ones out) . Fronts bled fine , cant get anything to come out rear port on master . Took it off to see if piston stuck but unable to strip it as no holes in circlip and no way of gripping it , left the union loose to see if anything runs out by tomorrow.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Looks like a new m/cyl then, tried all sorts but its stuck. Ground some welds down with a new flap disc and stripped some paint off n/s wing with a stripping disc, slapped the remains of filler on to see how it looks . Only a small skim needed , made a start finishing rear door seal moulding and sorting roof/gutter out.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Annoying when you get stuck doing stuff, welded section of seal moulding , re-glued the one side of roof on the r/h rear corner , made a repair panel for lower corner of rear wheel arch and glued it on, counter sunk bolt holes for screws in lower tailgate hinges and painted them then was stuck for some thing to do. Not ready to rub filler down yet , job I hate anyway but need to put some plastic sheet up to keep dust down.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Found some clips and stuff at scrappie's, door window seals from an Astra van. Stripped out several Vauxhall doors but nothing that would work on the Omega window motors. Welded on the rear gutter , had to redo some glued bits as hammering the edge of gutter down broke the joint (mutters something rude) . So gave in and pop riveted the joint just in case , dress with grinder and they should be hidden by the thick skim of filler needed !!!

661 - 680 of 685 Posts