Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
681 - 700 of 740 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
So ground the welds and rivets down , not to bad. Fitted lower tail gate , had to split inner skin and weld it to get lower edge lined up with rear panel . Made striker plates and welded them in for the catches ,might have to make a positive adjustable stop . Upper door tried on , needs a bit of frame twisting as o/s lower corner about 4 mm proud . Recon some blocks of wood and my size 9s will sort it, catch works but had to cut down the buffer . More fettling tomorrow then !!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Well the size 9s worked , took 3 goes to get enough and ended up jumping on it! Door was on and of more times than a lady of the nights knickers. Fitted the buffers that control side to side gaps, just need some of the adjustable wedges but might just make some if I can find some bits of thick enough steel. Once thats sorted I can set the shut lines , fitted the seal and need to make some mods to seal channel .

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Still working on the rear doors !! box (well U section ) added to lower door , strikers /latch pads fitted and a U (cut down box) welded on inside so door has something solid to shut to. Finished all the welds and ground them down on lower door, still some gapping needed but the shut line is wonky and its ali so skim of filler . Need some more adjustment on catch , with the seal in its very tight to shut . Load some pics later.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Have a bad eye, the one that plays me up so cant weld at the moment. Stayed home yesterday , did a bit this morning . Road from Upton to Welland is being tar and gravelled this week, board says 17th to 21st but they have not started today. Anyway this mornings work was taking the o/s front strut off, cutting the air hose fitting off and drilling a new hole to fit it to . The "fun" bit will be welding it up without getting strut to hot. Had to do this as struts not handed and pipe wont work at rear but is fine facing forward.
Automotive tire Bicycle part Cylinder Engineering Gas

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Think my eye has recovered enough, loaded my Snap On tool box ready to take to my unit tomorrow. Got all the drawers out apart from the bottom one in the roll cab , top box went in through the side door and drawers lay in rear with roll cab on top. Not sure how old they are but they were trade ins to the Snap On man in the late 70s early 80s and are still good .
While the seats are down will load the bags of crap and floor sweepings and old cardboard and do a skip run on the way home (yes the units a mess!)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Tool box installed, tools sorted and a Yeti load of crap taken down the recycle centre. Welded the union onto strut but it keeps blowing a hole in weld close to strut, will see what the TIG does tomorrow . Must be some coating residue , thought I had cleaned it up enough.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Well that didnt work, TIG didnt like it and damaged the sealing surface on fitting trying to grind the weld out. I hope the agri merchant over the road has a fitting as they make hydraulic hoses. Found 1/2 tin of filler so slapped some on . Spent the rest of the day making an outside light into a desk lamp.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Got a union ,£3 60!!!! , spent ages grinding and filing it down till it was just a tube on the one side . It welded in fine after I cleaned the old off and looks like its sealed , tested with lung pressure . Will put air bag back on and pressurize it from compressor tomorrow and make up some soapy solution to test with.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
As i thought , more holes in that weld than a tea bag . Have another union , this time the mechanic at the agri merchants found me one with a tail . Now I just need someone to TIG weld or braze it -------------

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
It has to go in at an angle into 6mm? plate . I would try to TIG it myself but I was having trouble holding electrode steady last time, old age and dodgy eyesight not helping !!!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Need some inspiration today , its wet cold and I was fed up with welding and the fact I have run out of ££s to buy stuff . Couple of days off to clear the fog and come up with a plan of things to do that dont cost (much)

·
Registered
231 Posts
an idea for your union; Cut a block of steel that fits the strut nicely, drill it. Weld that to the strut to give you a good flat face to weld the union to. Or weld the union on first then weld the assembly to the strut.
If you have the room for it...

681 - 700 of 740 Posts