Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
741 - 760 of 787 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Most of the top of n/s front wing sorted, n/s rear corner done as well as o/s . Started on o/s wing then decided to strip the green paint from o/s door , had to use a 40 grit flap wheel as its that tough. Wearing a dust mask , next thing (1/2 hour later) I started to get a bad head and feeling giddy with a bitter taste. God knows what that paint was , some 50s synthetic ? Will wear the painting mask when I do the other door. Had to come home, good shower and its clearing now

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Well it was food shopping and curry cooking day yesterday, still feeling a bit "off" so watched the F1 practice . Staying in tomorrow to watch P3 and qualifying so will be Monday when I get back on it. Have to order another BIG tin of filler , think 1/2 of it ended up on the floor so a very good clean up needed . Should have put some plastic sheeting up to keep the dust contained , might do that once its all clean.

·
Premium Member
15,155 Posts
Filler dust, I used to know a bloke who recycled his by sweeping it up and putting it back in the tin and mixing it back in. Never tried it myself.
yep, i read that somewhere, the guy had mixed filler dust with fibreglass resin to reuse what he sanded off.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Rear valance mostly filled, had to skim the whole thing to get it dead flat. Only a thin skim so pleased with that . Lower tail gate next ,n/s is flat but the o/f has a 1/16th ins dip . Skim of filler then--------

·
Premium Member
2,520 Posts
Glad your feeling better, keep at your progress

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Sweep up tomorrow , looks like foot prints in the snow!! lower tailgate done apart from edges , started on drivers door and o/s front wing. Still have some 2k primer/filler left from the camper but the hardener has gone solid , its a bit like treacle as well . Have some 2k paint thinners and hardener but not sure if that would be okay ? Same make.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Drivers door has a guide coat on it, will see how good it is tomorrow. Got down the unit late, didnt wake till 8.45 and then called in on mum, had enough dust and heat by 3pm ----------------
Bugger run out of ice cream.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Even hotter by 3pm today , car said 31c and it felt cooler outside than in my unit. sorted some high and low spots in door and r/h front wing , n/s door coming along and not so much filler so far on this one. Needed that cool shower ---------

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Pleased with passenger door so far, today have been doing the tailgate shuts. Off cut of ply with 80 grit sand paper is the only way to do edges as it needs to fit in seal channel , 1mm cutting disc cleans it up first . Upper tail gate next but there's a 3 day music festival on in town this weekend and I will be making the most of it.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Slowly recovering from the weekend, music, dancing and a few beers. Looked at my mums car this morning, just the thermostat crapped itself. Fell to bits when I removed it, mum had called at a garage and got someone to look . Head gasket £600 , if he had felt the bottom hose it was still cold!!! call them selves mechanics-----------

·
Premium Member
15,155 Posts
Slowly recovering from the weekend, music, dancing and a few beers. Looked at my mums car this morning, just the thermostat crapped itself. Fell to bits when I removed it, mum had called at a garage and got someone to look . Head gasket £600 , if he had felt the bottom hose it was still cold!!! call them selves mechanics-----------
no, they're just 'fitters' these days not proper mechanics.
neil.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Mechanics, I spent 34 years as one and in most places I worked I would trust maybe 1 in 10. We have a fairly new car now and we have it serviced at a main dealer, I always ask the bloke on reception to make sure the mechanic who knows what he's doing works on it, judging by his wry smile I think he knows what I mean.

·
Registered
Loxley Lozenge
413 Posts
Here's a scary one for you.
We've established there are good mechanics and bad ones. Same goes for joiners, plumbers, sparkies etc.
When it gets to good doctors and bad doctors it is a bit more worrying.
What about pilots! There are good ones and bad ones just the same. Feckin scary when you start to think of it!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Yes, a long while ago a lady came in with a classic mini running on 2 cyls so pulled a plug lead off and it went to 3 cyl . Cracked dist cap said I , pulled it off and yup great big crack/track . She was well impressed !!!
Waiting for it to cool down tomorrow and then its back to the tailgate shuts , need to fab some strikers as it needs to go over the one way by a couple of mm.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Well that's a bugger, come down with a grotty throat that kept waking me up last night. Had a sinus/cold thing from last week and I think being nackered from the weekend and 2 days of heat have taken there toll. Went down the unit for an hour but was to rough , have some meds from Boots and slumming on sofa . Ordered some striker plates Just under £20 inc post as they were in a sale

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Still feeling rough so another day of Henry Cole overdose , still the striker plates should turn up today(just came as I was typing). Must order the paint now the money has come through , 4L of Porsche Indian Red 2k single pack should be enough and about the same of high build primer

741 - 760 of 787 Posts