Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

51 Austin 10cwt Countryman

107K views 1K replies 37 participants last post by  budetta 
#1 · (Edited)

just started to rebuid my (devon)countryman for the 3rd time ,only had it for 35years but its that old story .took it of the road in 99 to freashen it up and fit the sills of my drag car ,by the time the sills and bulkhead were cut there wasant much holding the floor pan in so its now channeled 3inches.main reason was chassis to ground clearance !!!!!as already slamed by fitting MGB wishbones and shocks.Anyway got put to one side (long boring story)but now have the space to work on it,as I am between jobs atthe mo (anyone need a MOT Tester Malvern area?) had time to strip the doner Vaux Omega .Last 2 weeks fitted the engine and box and just set up diff mounts.So for those that like to know its 30L v6 manual,omega diff,omega hubs made into Dedion rearaxle,front hubs on scratch built arms(this is to keep abs & traction control) with airbags .Plan is for rear clam doors to be remade using VW Type 2 (bay) rear doors as the originals are naff and have no seals.will see if I can post some pics of how it was .

See less See more
#268 ·
I got gas (more tea vicar?) and welding gas!! thats the stiffening plates fitted. Roof not flexing now and when outer skin goes on it will be solid, front headlining section will have to be extended 6ins now. Trial fitted it ,have to get some 22 gauge now. Radio mounting is the next thing to make, tempted to weld that to roof but will most likely make it into headlining . Now have to remove the old leather cloth that I stuck on with Evo Stick 35 years ago, hot air gun me thinks.

#269 ·
Made a box for radio and welded it it headlining , looks a bit square so will make something to shape it. Bit stuck to finish it till roll over hoop fitted. Stuck at home for the next 3 days, road closed for resurfacing to get to my unit and not doing double the mileage to get there so brought manual home to "decode" wiring diagram into sections and work out whats not needed. Have to work out if rear window switches can work front window motors without master switch panel.

#271 ·
Done some more working out on wiring, the master window switch (that I dont have) has some diodes and possibly a transistor built in if the dia can be taken as true. Just need to work out if the window switches work by earthing motor or send a feed, they have a permanent live to motors so not sure. For some reason the dia shows all window motors connected by a wire that is not shown as going to anything else, now you know why my brains frazzled.

#275 · (Edited)
Usually Lecky windows are power to both sides of the motor, then a switch in each line breaks that connection and earth's that side of the motor.. you can do it with 2 momentary change over switches.

That way you can add an additional set of switches, so drivers side can control drivers and passenger windows, and the passenger side switch(es) can be added to control passenger side

#278 ·
Ign key and barrel came next day and it fits! Spent last 3 days stripping out stuff from loom, sorted window switches I think. Its not the same as wiring diagram as there is a brown earth wire that's not shown. Now have to find out if centre locking will work without tailgate and rear door locks , cut wires out but left enough to reconnect. There's still more to come out and some to rejig , relay board will have to go to left of column and that's tight for room

#279 ·
Well have a box full of wiring striped out of loom and still more to come, next thing is mount ABS unit so I can work out where to drill bulkhead for loom grommet holes. Will have to get a 62mm hole saw for the big one, have one for the other hole. Tried to find screen wash pump wires but nothing that matches colours in chart, meter job then.

#286 ·
well hole saws came, swiss cheese bulkhead now. Heater blower came, bloody couriers the case is smashed. Packaged fine so most have dropped something heavy on it, on to seller. Welder playing up with the wire feed , need to strip the liner out . Bit of a sod as making the ABS pump mount, managed to tack it together good enough for position. Wiring looks like the cats been playing with it, still a lot to sort but thats a pic of how much has been removed.

#291 ·
2 days work and have most of the rats nest sorted , still loads to fettle but need to do a lot more stuff yet to know where its all going. Bloody cold this afternoon as ran out of fuel for space heater, cant get red diesel till next week so looks like a day in the warm (home) again. Roll on spring!!!!