Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

I have a leak from around the drain plug in the petrol tank, which I've tried to seal with various apparently appropriate products - but it works for a while, then eventually starts leaking again.

Anyone got any idea of an equivalent UK petrol tank that would fit if I wanted to replace? Don't fancy my chances of finding an actual Studebaker tank over here - and I suspect the cost of importing one from the States would be ludicrous...

Anton51Stude

·
Premium Member
14,220 Posts
If Steve Lang has any tank suppliers in the state's it won't be expensive to get one. Give him a call.

·
Registered
10 Posts
As Russ has said, it is possible to have a tank refurbed.
The usual procedure is to take it off the car [bit obvious, really].
It is then steamed out to remove any fuel residue to avoid explosive issues.
The tank is then dip-cleaned to remove paint, filler, crud etc.
Then the blow lamp comes out, as does a little flux and a stick of solder.
This is then used to ''tin'' the tank around the repair area.
A plate is then cut and tinned to cover the hole and sweated in place, creating a leak-free repair by running more solder around the plate's edges, its penetration being aided by capillary action.
I suspect that vibration or stress of some form [not corrosion] has started to crack the drain plug out of the tank, if so then it could be possible to do a repair yourself. It will probably not need a reinforcing plate, just a fillet of solder around the boss.
However, it cannot be emphasized enough that any fuel residue must be scoured out with steam [local garage got a steam lance for cleaning the underside of cars?].
I would certainly tackle it at home, as I do with radiators. Once done, it's easy and you wonder why you paid all that money previously. :tup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts