Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Pre 40 for me...
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the chance to buy a 53 chevy belair sedan with a title from an American scrap yard, it runs but just needs the floor repairing in some areas....and all for £1700 importated....I don't know much about them a just have a few questions, first is are there any places in the uk that deal with replacement chevy parts such as floor panels and body panels ? And second is what type of chassis does the 53 belair have ? Many thanks..... ~86~

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
Russ on here as RnR imports will supply anything you want at a good price
A 53 has a ladder type separate chassis
Just remember that the car would have been sat for a while so the whole car will need going through for an MoT

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,393 Posts
Also remember that the US don't have an MoT system like ours so the car could well have been fit for the scrap yard ten years before it actually went into one. £1700 isn't much money these days for a project Yank (does that include duties, transport from the docks etc?), but unless you've actually seen it in the flesh and specifically want a 53 Chevy, prepare yourself for the worst and assume it will need a complete strip down to every last nut & bolt and the body lifting off the chassis. If its from a wet-state or near the coast, a lot of the metal could well be paper-thin.

If you do end up having to go down that route, don't underestimate just how much room a dis-assembled car with a seperate chassis takes up. I've got two sheds and a double garage full of dis-assembled Ranchero and I still could do with more room!

You do still see some bargain 50's Yank projects for sale in the UK, but you have to keep your eyes open.

·
Full Bloody Rebel!
3,426 Posts
Mine was advertised as 'almost show' but was rotten when it came over. The MOT guy, a mate, ran out of chalk under the car marking the affected parts, including steering...
If you can, I'd get the panels over there and ship them in the car. You will pay a lot more for parts over here than in the US

1 - 4 of 4 Posts