Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55 2nd gen truck and the rear axle is so low geared that the engine (350 V8 with a 3 speed ) is reving its tits off at 55 - 60 mph as its something daft like 4.70 -1 so im after a rear axle for it and whilst i have looked online all the info out there is american and obviously our scrap yards are not full of ford 9 in axles or old corvettes so anybody know of an axle thats good for the job that is easyer to get hold of or am i going to have to look out for a yank one
cheers Dunk

·
Premium Member
6,180 Posts
Most people tend to use a Camaro 10 bolt as they come in different ratios. I'm actually on the lookout for an axle too......but I want Chevy six stud pattern. Have you looked into the possibility of changing the ring and pinion?

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea i have and they are rare as hell and still only 4.11- 1 so not a lot of gain for a ton of cash ..

·
American Truck importer
11,742 Posts
Dunk, I changed the gearing in my mate's 3100. I think the kit cost him about £240 and it was a 3.38:1. It now cruises easy at 60+ with the old six pot up front. I think your truck has 8 lug axles though? If so, less stuff available as it will have fully floating half shafts? Standard on a half ton truck is I think 4.11:1 and that still screams it's tits off at 60, but at least you can convert the gearing. Camaro rear is on 5 lugs, so either way you will end up with different wheels front and back, which of course wheel covers can hide? I had a '49 Chevy van with what seemed to be a 2.35:1 or something near and it cruised real easy in excess of 90mph.

·
American Truck importer
11,742 Posts
Dunk, just remembered, I have a complete 8 lug rear axle here, I'll try to remember to check the ratio tomorrow and get back to you.

·
Registered
121 Posts
does the 3:38 not bog down a bit with the six shooter? Was considering a that gear set for my 3100 if i dont find a half decent axle soon.

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mines a nice 350 so a ton of power and the good news is me bro came round and reminded me i have a 91 blazer rotting away in our field with a 10 bolt on the back of it and its 3/4 of an inch wider than the standard axle on the 55 so im gona have that off this week its a 3.45 so should be ace

1 - 9 of 9 Posts