Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car's old.....it's been around as a rod in various forms for the better part of 25 years. Originally built by Mick Taylor it's had many styles and then many owners over the years.

I'll start off the thread with some pics of the way it was and then move on to what I've done to it...

As featured in Street Machine

Finally, as it was when I bought it....

I'll start the build pics soon...:D

·
Registered
773 Posts
didnt pete d used to own this car ,..i have a photos here at the westside charity gathering of this vehicle next to my shed!!! .. sweet car that.:tup: oh andy williams (not the singer ) in the back ground selling home made cakes,at a loss of coarse haha

Attachments

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
He did indeed.:tup:

Does he look in on the forums? If so he may be a little surprised what I've done to the old warhorse!

If anyone else has got some pics of the Magnette they'd like to post in this thread I'd really appreciate it, I love putting together the history of a car like this.

·
Registered
773 Posts
im not sure m8 if he spies on the forums ,.. have u hacked up the the beast ,?? hows it looking man..i raced him with my pik up after he told me he have huge bhp in the beast but i beat him much to my surprise ,haha i had about 190bhp..errrr it was funny as..he werent happy at all..

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It has '427' sbc in it although all I know for definite is that it's a 400 block. When I got it the engine was so far out of tune that, when I ran it up on a rolling road, the noxious fumes nearly killed me and the best it showed was 188bhp....at the flywheel.:tdown:
I gave it a bloody good service, completely rebuilt the 750d/p Holley, fitted a new fuel pump and on it's next run it netted 363bhp...at the wheels!:smoke:

Not huge horsepower by any means but I'm going to strip the engine shortly and make sure one way or the other that if it's not a 427ci it soon will be...plus a few other mods until I can afford an LS3 and a couple of turbos, but that won't be until the rebuilds finished and I've saved up again.:cool:

Have I hacked up the beast? After taking out more than 60kg of plod out of the shell where it'd been abused over the years I gave up, cut the shell off and started again with another Magnette body.:tup:

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, where to begin...

I drove the car for about a month but really couldn't deal with the brakes locking the fronts all of the time and the steering being a little worn.

It started with taking the sbc and th350 out...about 20 minutes

Whilst I was doing this my mate Steve started peeling a few stickers off. He peeled one off under the back window and it came away with a 20mm thick lump of filler attached.:sniff:
Peeling a sticker off....2 years and counting!:shake:

We took the paint off with a chisel and found a few horrors...

At this point we decided that the car had had too much abuse over it's many years as a rod and a fresh shell was needed.

At this point I had a bit of a heart failure issue (literally) and wasn't allowed to play for 6 months.:tdown:

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Whilst convalescing it gave me a chance to scour ebay and, 4 months later, I found an old Magnette up in Yorkshire that was in need of 'restoration'.

We stripped the car and then split the shell at the A pillars, this is the lunatic that peeled the sticker in the first place. I hold him entirely responsible!

Once in the workshop where I'd be doing the build I was able to gut the car of everything that I wouldn't be needing...

When that was done it was time to start back on the beasty.
The front scuttle was too bad to save..

Once that had gone the way of the pikeys and I'd cut the sills off I was left with...

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wasn't happy with the body mounting positions. The Magnette is/was a monocoque car so basically I'd be cutting out the floor and welding the outriggers to the inner sills. I plan to be running a lot of power one day so more strength was needed.
I had some new 3 part sills handmade by a company in Norfolk, actually a husband and wife team who only make panels for Magnettes, took some very careful measurements and then started fabricating.
I worked out that I could run 3" box section inside of the sills and it would be completely hidden.
With a little measuring and bending I had this....

I then welded the inner sill plate to the inside edge of the box section...

And then spot welded the centre sill section to the inner sill plate..
The box section is inside this bit.

The shell was then carefully lowered into place to check fitment. This was done so many times I reckon it knew it's own way into place in the end..

It fits!!!!!:happy:

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Next!:happy:

More careful measuring and the front scuttle was welded to it's final resting place..

It was time to start on the shell. I always liked the coupe look but I'm really a little too tall to be comfortable in it the way it was for any length of time so I thought I'd go for the factory 2 door look this time.
It took a couple of attempts to get the proportions right but eventually the B pillar was moved backwards 25cm (that's 10" in old money).
To make the new rear quarters I sliced 10" out of the centre of the rear doors.

Once narrowed I welded in some lower repair panels to them as the tin worms had been having a feast and then tacked it all into place on the shell..

It was then time to start on the rear panels. I cut out the rotten outer arches and found...rotten inner arches!

But that was fine as they were the wrong profile on the outer edges.
A new inner arch section was fabricated to link to the original inner tub..

More soon.....:tup:

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
real sweet work ,.. looks like a solid shell to .. were you the original owner ???
The shell was surprisingly solid for something built in the 50's, the only frilly bits were around the bottom edges as you'd expect from something built at Abingdon all those years ago.

Nope, definitely not the original owner, neither of the cars has been near my grubby paws before this project started.:D

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hi,
amazing work there,
think i'd have slung the towel in after finding all that wag!!!

cris.
It was such a close thing, to the point that I was actually dialing our local scrappy to collect the bits and weigh it in. If it wasn't for my mate Steve (the old g1t in the pics) it would have been long gone.:shocked:

·
Registered
152 Posts
i prefer the look of how you're building it with the saloon body, i didn't like the couped body, (no offence to who ever built it).

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Moving to the back end, one of the first areas requiring attention was the rear chassis section.
The way the car had originally been built resulted in the section behind the axle being shorter than a standard car by a fair amount and, as I wasn't going to be doing the same, the chassis had to be lengthened.

The rear crossmember was cut out and I closed off the ends of the rails.
A new rear crossmember was cut from 4x2 box and then curved to follow the exact profile of the new rear valance panel.
Once formed I moved onto the rail extensions. These were fitted below the original rails to firstly give a bit of extra strength and secondly it would bring the crossmember into alignment with the valance.

Tapered sections were formed to fit to the ends of the original rails for more strength and then the entire lot was welded into place.

Now I could move onto the replacement panels and the mounting bracket for the parachute to pull against

The bracket was welded to the crossmember and then the rear valance was trimmed to fit around it and tacked into place.

Once this was done it gave me datum points for all of the other panels.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Front doors...

Now that these are 10" too short I thought I'd better do something about the potential draughts.
This was a little tricky as it was my first attempt at something like this!:shake:

Firstly, the insides could go so cut along the dotted line...

The door was then cut into sections...

The front half was rehung on it's hinges, the back half was tacked to the B pillar with small spacers to give a closing gap and then the two halves were joined together with bits of box section to form a ridgid frame...

An infill section was cut out of the original doors....

Once it was cleaned up and welded I was able to cut the bottom off and fit a new lower repair panel that Shortens had made to my measurements...

The door was then rehung to check the fit...

I refitted the wheels and the flip front just to get an idea of the look and to give the mojo a kick in the jacksy!

Getting there!:D

1 - 20 of 162 Posts