Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Welding Guru
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Update from today.
fully tig welded the upper A arms. 2 runs used to weld these up. A root run to ensure full penetration is achieved and then a combined fill and cap. they units where pre heated to 50c and during weld runs the inter-pass temperature was limited to 150c to ensure the welds align with the parameters in the weld procedure I was using.
a bit detailed but I want these to be a strong as possible and give long service life.

·
Welding Guru
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
this weekends progress.
Tying to get all the metal work complete before finally moving on to bodywork and getting the final finish started.
mocked the motor in place to see how the headers fit (always tight on the passenger side using long tube primaries)
going with a full manual (full reverse pattern) 700R4 trans for now. Motor and trans is sat at 5 degrees and I am fabricating the engine mounts and will be using polyurethane bushes of my own design.
Just using this mock up to plan the stainless steel exhaust system, will be crossing under the chassis with the exhausts to exit in the bed sides in front of the rear wheels.
going full bore 3" right through and will be making my own 304L mufflers.
will keep updating with pics.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
I really could go on and on, but just need to say that this is looking great.

Nice fit.

·
Welding Guru
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
This weekends progress. lots and lots of measuring and trial fitting to make sure these are right.
will be casting my own polybushes into these when my black pigment eventually arrives.
I now have LS1 engine mounts that wont clash with the headers or getting access to the starter etc. (as they pick up on the lower cross member and not the top of the chassis rail).
material is 50 x 10mm flat bar and then 6mm there after. polybush mount is 75mm in length so this motor is not going anywhere but will still have flexibility all bolting is 12mm 8.8.

·
Registered
409 Posts
That is a work of art, shame it will be hidden, it's so easy sometimes to take the lazy route with hidden brackets etc, but not here.

·
Welding Guru
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Cheers for the comment. I (and probably others on here) get asked "why go into so much detail when no one will see it or know its there?"
My answer is usually. I know its there and i will be relying on it for function or safety, so it has to be right.

·
Welding Guru
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Todays progress was frustratingly slow. fabricated a new tubular cross member for the transmission from scratch. hope to get some better progress done tomorrow making the polyurethane mounts. once the engine and trans are secured I can concentrate on the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
14,213 Posts
nice crossmember but will you be able to remove it once the cab's fitted as it's on top of the chassis? just a thought.

·
Welding Guru
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Hi. I am not really planning to remove it. but it actually slides along the chassis past the tail housing if I need to take the trans out. (the clearance between top of the bracket and underside of cab is plenty enough to get the bolts out) the one I took off was a bugger to remove.

·
Welding Guru
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
Todays planned work was to produce the polyurethane bushes and also the transmission mount from polyurethane. after that I wanted to get a start on the exhaust system silencers.
the full exhaust system will be fabricated from 304L and the silencers are 700mm long and are straight through (with a 70mm internal offset to lose a bit of noise but no too much)

I tested the transmission mount to destruction to make sure the poly kit I bought of eBay (£18) has the right sort of flexibility and has the correct adhesion. took bloody ages and massive amounts of force and it still wouldn't detach or tear. After this I took a knife to it and re-cast it. very confident that the mount is more than man enough for the job.

·
Welding Guru
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Here are the images of the exhaust components and the start of fabricating the silencers which will be glass packed after I have fabricated the casings.

·
Premium Member
14,213 Posts
just checking :tup:
poly mounts look good and home made too :cool:

·
Welding Guru
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Cheers. It did make me double check it when i went back in sunday morning though.:tup: a second opinion is always a good way to double check if an idea or design works.
Every day is a school day :)

·
Welding Guru
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
This weekends progress.
designing and mocking up the 3" stainless exhaust system.
the system has to go under the chassis rail so I made a set of hand made off-set reducers (starting off with card templates)that have to increase in surface area (34% increase in size) so I don't have a flow restriction when it narrows down (mocked the flow characteristics up on some fancy gas flow software in work) the flexis are polylock and move really well considering their small length.
fabricated some 45 degree branches to enable the fitting of the summit cutouts.
The system will exit with through the side of the body just in front of the rear wheel with a 5" or 6" oval that has a custom made aluminium surround.
making my own mufflers in stainless.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Great work as usual, my only concern would be just how close those boxes are to the chassis and heat transfer, having burned/scorched problems before with gaps bigger than this, just an observation.

·
Welding Guru
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Cheers for the comment and suggestion.
My plan is to make a sandwich heat shield from a set of 2 aluminum sheets either side of a graphite core . I am making the same set up as a heat shield for my starter thats sat just behind the headers.
I am plannning to run the motor just sat in the chassis to find any local hot spots and put some additional shielding in there too. I am expecting some heat issues around the trans and the H pipe under the prop UJ so i have to come up with something there too.
I will post some pics of the trials i am going to do on the heat shield to see how it performs. Thanks again for the comments.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
This stuff is crazy good.

You had me making loud noises here.

Loving the progress.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts