Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Welding Guru
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
thank you very much. your comments and those of others on here are what gives me a bit more drive to do that little bit extra with any detail.
and posting on here each week gives me the kick up the backside to keep working on the truck each weekend.
there is some great work on here and its hard work to get anywhere near some of the standards of work and imagination on display on here.
cheers!

·
Welding Guru
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #62 (Edited)
progress from last Sunday and today.
fabricating the complete mufflers from scratch. trying to provide some restriction in flow as my engine builder advised it. not doing too much in the way of restriction but just aiming to disrupt the flow by using the open mesh to cause some deflection.
the mufflers are glass packed and will be fully purged during welding to prevent burning of the packing (Its ceramic fibre and above 700 degree centigrade it breaks down and presents a carcinogenic risk)
the exhaust will be exiting the side of the body just in front of the rear wheel in a 5" oval

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Just gobsmackingly good.

In awe at your skill.

·
Welding Guru
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
todays progress wasn't that much.
fabricated the oval outlets and the offset transition oval to 76mm cone sections.
proper little sods to get right.
ovals are 100mm x 170mm and are about the same size as the Audi RS ovals.

·
Welding Guru
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Todays progress was slower than expected, getting the oval exhaust tips ready for finalising the installation. perforated mesh lining the ovals and will be adding an internal lip to give the tips a bit of section thickness and a final radius finish.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Just read through from page 1 absolutely fantastic ,attention to detail is second to non .Really looking foreword to following this to the final build ,keep the great work coming :tup: Cheers Neil

·
Welding Guru
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Thanks for the comments Neil, really appreciated.

Todays progress. checked and double checked everything is where I want it on the exhaust system and it all fits fine.
mocked up the body onto the frame to do set the final position of the cut outs to make sure they clear the body
once I was happy with everything I spent the whole day tig welding the system and fully purged it during welding to get the best results. the system was welded in sequences to prevent any distortion that would change the dimensions from the tacked up dimensions.
will be working on the side exits next week and hopefully get some quicker progress.

·
Premium Member
14,215 Posts
very nice work, a 'like' just wouldn't do this justice so :tup: :cool:

·
Welding Guru
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Cheers Neil.
looking through your builds, it obvious you know how much work goes into getting things right. The guy in the unit next door asked why I was back purging the welds when nobody would know. I answered "I would know and it would feel like I had cut a corner"

·
Premium Member
14,215 Posts
yes mate, stuff like this can be very time consuming. i spent 3 full days once building fenderwell headers for a big block dodge dart and they were only mild steel.

·
Welding Guru
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Got in the shop today and decided to tidy up the appearance of the exhaust. and as usual took things a bit too far and decided to pickle and passivate the entire exhaust system to prevent any oxidation.
the pickling paste is made up of a mix of hydrofluoric and nitric acid so is I quite nasty and needs to be handled with care. does a lovely job of removing weld oxidation though.
a final application with some scotchbrite pads has left me with these results.
when the motor is running this should show some nice tempering colours when the heat goes through the system.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Evening mate.

Cannot remember back in your thread whether you removed 5e bench seat, or what route you are headed......

Seating wise, do you still have the bench seat?

·
Welding Guru
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
fabricating the fuel tank for the C10. 3mm thick so no need for beading. tank has 8 baffle sections welded internally to add even further rigidity.
finally starting to build up the chassis with parts that will stay on.
fully rebuilt the axle with strange 30 spline shafts and a Eaton LSD with 3.73 gears

·
Welding Guru
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
latest acquisition is this little cracker that has 45k on the clock and is in excellent shape and just needs the roof and interior tidying. motor is as sweet as a nut (usual oil leaks but not too bad) going to change the look of the wheels and that's it.
now have the following in the garage:
63 c10 swb fleetside
64 corvair Monza convertible
65 fairlane 500 hardtop

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Every time this thread pops to the top, it makes me grin before I even look, because I know it is going to deliver.

Love
Y new car.

Reactions: 69 ford

·
Welding Guru
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Cheers Grizz.
Have to alter the exhaust h pipe to fit that 4L80e transmission in and also fabricate a new trans cross brace.
Will be mounting the whole chassis on the wheels to see how it looks ride height wise.
Thanks again for the comments.

61 - 80 of 94 Posts