Rods 'n' Sods banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Great to this progressing, I was wondering if I/we were ever going to see pictures again on this forum at one point.

·
Welding Guru
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
just a quick update on progress. stated in previous post that I would need to alter the exhaust and cross brace. a little bit of juggling with some parts and a small adapter plate on the trans mount I managed to get away with just having to re drill some holes for the trans mount to chassis.

have fitted the fuel tank and brake lines and decided to set the chassis up for rolling, prop shaft is off to get lengthened by 25mm!!

body work starts now so just another hurdle to climb.:D

·
Welding Guru
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Hi Stuart.
I have fabricated the fuel tank from 3mm half hard aluminium. It is baffled and foam filled internally. It has a 22 gallon (UK) capacity and the fuel filler will be trimmed back for a bed fill set up. Need to get as much weight as possible beyond/over the rear wheels to get the power planted.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi Stuart.
I have fabricated the fuel tank from 3mm half hard aluminium. It is baffled and foam filled internally. It has a 22 gallon (UK) capacity and the fuel filler will be trimmed back for a bed fill set up. Need to get as much weight as possible beyond/over the rear wheels to get the power planted.
Looks awesome do you build tanks to order ?? I'm after a under the bed aluminium tank for my 61 Chevy c10 Apache Stepside

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Welding Guru
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Hi Stuart. I build custom tanks regular. From a customer sketch and dimensions of all the parts that need fitting (filler, breather, pump outlet, fuel gauge, drain) and the location of the mount sites (or straps if you prefer)
if I use thinner material I normally swage the panels for strength. this tank Is quite thick at 3mm so no need to swage.
foam filling is expensive though! (£100 to fill this with cubes!!)
I do all this a hobby at weekends so any prices for custom work I do just needs cover the materials and gas used (with a bit on top to make it worth the hassle)
built a few in polished 316 stainless for those that want to show a bit more.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi Stuart. I build custom tanks regular. From a customer sketch and dimensions of all the parts that need fitting (filler, breather, pump outlet, fuel gauge, drain) and the location of the mount sites (or straps if you prefer)
if I use thinner material I normally swage the panels for strength. this tank Is quite thick at 3mm so no need to swage.
foam filling is expensive though! (£100 to fill this with cubes!!)
I do all this a hobby at weekends so any prices for custom work I do just needs cover the materials and gas used (with a bit on top to make it worth the hassle)
built a few in polished 316 stainless for those that want to show a bit more.
Thanks for the reply I wouldn't be after foam just the usual fuel tank gubbins etc ,

I'm also after a full stainless exhaust for a 350SBC that would exit just in front of the rear wheels I have a set of black widow mufflers I can supply

Where are you based and what's the lead time ??
Regards Stuart

·
Welding Guru
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Hi Stuart.
I am based in Widnes, Cheshire.
to do this sort of work you would need to bring the truck in really. or supply detailed sketches I could work to.
is the exhaust you are after from the header flange down or including headers? if you want headers I would suggest buying the Chinese ones off eBay as the build quality is not that bad for the price.
as for lead time, I think this would be better over the winter and should take about 3 weekends.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi thanks for the reply I'm after something the same as this for the fuel tank the second pic has the dimensions !!

·
Welding Guru
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Hi Stuart.
I can reverse engineer this no problem.
can I ask that we sort this via PMs and we can then post the full details up on a new thread in tech discussion or similar showing the full manufacture.
want to try and keep this thread for my personal builds if we can please.
Cheers, Brendon.

·
Welding Guru
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #91 (Edited)
As if I don't have enough to do, I made a start on the Corvair today to make it safer from a braking and handling aspect. full brake rebuild and installing a dual master cylinder (these have a 60/40 braking split in favour of the rear because of the engine being out back)
list of jobs is full brakes all new suspension and bushes and then install some 3 point belts (which will take a bit of engineering ingenuity)
need to re-upholster the interior and do a new roof.
hopefully that will be it.
the body is in great shape, so for once it will be just a cosmetic jobs once the brakes and suspension and seat belts are sorted.

·
Welding Guru
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #92 (Edited)
Righty. I have now decided to get back on track with the C10 restomod ( progress has been parked for over a year) i have neglected this for a lot of other projects so time to get it sorted this year.
Mated the cab to the chassis today so i can re assemble and get it out to the painters for a final look over and top coat. i can do all the bodywork but final paint is not my forte so i will leave it to the expert i use to do the final finish (he is happy to follow my work as he knows i am just as picky as he is)
Its the first time the cab has been back on the chassis in 5 years.

81 - 94 of 94 Posts