Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a start on this Chevy today, thought I would post some pictures up of it's progress for the owner and thought you guys might like to see it as well. I usually do work on the older Ford models but I love American cars and hot rods.

The car needs two rear quarters as well as some other bits doing to it, we have a pair of reproduction ones which you can see on top of the car.

One side has already been taken off when the car arrived and it showed up a few other areas that will need work.

I think the Chevy may have suffered from a bit of a rear end shunt at some time in it's life, the boot gaps are all out of line and the o/s/r quarter panel around the lamp panel had obvious damage on it.

The boot itself also has a split in the skin on one corner.

The rear panel was also damaged and partially taken off when it arrived.

I made a start by removing the last sections of the old rear panel and making a new lower section for the rear panel to attach to as the old one had corroded away.

Then trimmed the new panel down and started to weld it on.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The car also needed a few small plates putting in on the inner rear quarter panel so that the new lamp panel could be fitted.

I also made a small section up to weld in under the n/s/r lamp panel which had also corroded away, this made the repair to the rear panel complete and I also fitted the new o/s lamp panel.

I also sorted all the gaps out on the boot lid.

Last job of the day was to remove all the doors.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have a set of spare doors with the car, they all need work on the shells and could have done with re-skinning but after checking on prices and shipping costs the decision was taken to repair them instead. I started on the n/s/f one first. I cut the corrosion out of the shell first and plated it up with fresh metal.

Then sorted the outer skin out.

The door also had a split in it and a few smaller holes around the lock.

Then moved onto the n/s/r one, again the inside needed sorting first.

Then tackled the outer skin, this one needed two sections cutting out and replacing with new metal.

I then swapped the hinges over and fitted the repaired doors and started to gap them up, this took a bit of time to sort out but the nearside is starting to look a lot better now.

Next job is going to be removing the rear quarter, I made a start by removing the spot welds around the fuel filler cap.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Doing a great job Mannie , I love this era of car :tup:
Thank you:), I started today by cutting the rest of the rear quarter panel off. This revealed another couple of holes that will need repairing first.

I took the panel off leaving the top edge of the old rear quarter on so that the new repair panel has something solid to weld to and the old wing keeps it's shape better when welding it up.

I then trimmed the old panel and used it as a template to drill the trim holes into the new one.

The ones for the badge were a little harder to do as they are actually little slots.

These reproduction panels need quite a bit of trimming and reshaping to make them fit properly.

After trimming quite a bit off, you can see how it needs reshaping.

And you can see how much the front section is out as well.

The inner arch also needed cutting out and fresh metal putting in before trying to fit the quarter panel.

After trying the panel off and on a few times and trimming it the panel was starting to fit a little better. I cleaned the edges up and punched the holes needed to plug weld it on.

I decided the best way to fit it was to butt weld it all the way round leaving the old section at the front to keep the origional door gap.

I will have to make up a section for the arch tomorrow and also another hole has appeared under the wheel arch which will also need sorting out.

Also redrilled new holes for the fuel flap and refitted that as well.

·
Ian
535 Posts
:tup:Even if you don't particularly like this style or era of car, the workmanship alone makes following this thread worthwhile.
Spike

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fantastic work, though nothing can come close to your Mustang rebuild!
That one was a bit of a task:) the owner's description didn't really match up to the car when it arrived :shocked: I could post it up on here if you think people would be interested?

·
1,147 Posts
That one was a bit of a task:) the owner's description didn't really match up to the car when it arrived :shocked: I could post it up on here if you think people would be interested?
Those that haven't seen it should. Just start with the 'befores' - amazing both that you agreed to do it and that the owner didn't cut his losses:D

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Only managed a few photo's today, I cleaned the welds up around the new rear quarter, cut the corrosion out of the inner arch and plated that up and also made a new section up for the outer arch.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I made a fresh wheel arch section this morning and also plated the inner wheel arch up at the same time.

Next on the list was this crack in the frame, I cut it out and made a section up for it out of 2mm plate.

I also cleaned up and rewelded some welding which had been done but just wasn't strong enough.

The other side was in the same kind of state.

I also found a bigger section that needed plating nearer to the axle.

I also finished all the welding under the rear panel and the new lamp panel.

Then started on the o/s/f door this was peppered with small tiny holes along the top edge so I plugged them up first.

Then turned it over and the bottom of the door was in the same condition.

Also welded up a couple of splits in the skin.

Then I removed the corrosion from the door bottom.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I plated the front door up first inside and out.

And then fitted it to the car I also put the catch on from the old door and gapped it up. Then I started on the repairs on the shell of the rear door.

Next job was to try and get the hinges off the old doors and fit them to the new ones.

Got both doors on and gapped up, the front wings will be coming off at a later date as the owner has bought new ones for it as well as a new bonnet.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts