Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Slowly but surely
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned my car for nearly 12 years now and, other than enforced periods, it's never been off the road for any great length of time. It never has been and never will be a show car, more a useable classic that I can improve/upgrade as time (and money) allows. Yes it has some rough edges, but it's a driver and it's mine. Maybe one day it'll get a thorough restoration, but I can't justify the cost just yet. Besides, it'd still end up looking exactly the same, just with less wavy lines and drier carpets !!

I have a very definite idea of how I want the car to look, but this will have to be achieved in stages, all the while remaining presentable and, more importantly, useable.

Anyway, the story so far;

I bought the car from a friend of mine, who bought it not long after it had appeared in a Street Machine feature;

Here's a pic of the car outside my first house in Ipswich, just after I bought it

Ok, fast-forward about 4 years during which time I'd had the engine rebuilt, but the paint and chrome was looking very tired. I therefore decided to give it a quick makeover (Stage I). Strip down begins

Paintwork had also blistered badly - yes I know this should have been taken all the way back before new paint, but this was just a quick makeover on a driver

Blown over with satin paint custom mixed to my liking

Fitting back up including; new chrome, badges, lights, front bumper, trim deletions, dash pad, interior paint, whitewalls reversed, etc, etc, etc

Car has always got whatever it needed underneath

Finished (Stage I that is…)

18 months later, disaster strikes

New engine acquired March last year - it's a 1995 5.0 fitted with a new Ford Racing E303 hydraulic roller cam. Moving from Ipswich to Newmarket soon after has kind of put things on hold on things, but it's with my engine builder now, along with; GT40 heads, flat-top pistons, Torquer II, Holley 600, etc, etc. Will come back in black with natural metal finishes, plus Milodon race pan, fabricated valve covers, etc.

New house doesn't have a garage, but had a real stroke of luck when I found this little unit in the next village at a bargain price - had committed to the truck by now, so had to have something that could accommodate them both;

Engine out (messy method)

Torn down to reveal this - ouch !!

Anyway, that's just about where it is now. The car will end up being a Trans-Am replica/tribute/call-it-what-you-will. This is the kind of car that really gets me going;

Stage II will include the following which are waiting to go on;

GT350-R front valance (bumper delete)
GT350 side scoops
Patriot Tri-Y headers and side-exit system (with X-Pipe)
Bonnet pins
Export brace with firewall reinforcement
Curved Monte Carlo bar
Fabricated ram-air box (not yet made)
Etc

This lot will also entail removing some of the new trim, welding up holes, possible lowering job, matt black hood, etc, etc.

Then, but parts will then be collected for Stage III, which should include the following;
5-stud disk brake conversion
Wider steel wheels & tyres
Stripping out interior
Low-back period bucket seats
Roll cage
Harnesses
6-gauge dash
New steering wheel
Etc, etc, etc

More pics will follow as and when progress is made !!

·
Banjo snapper.
3,507 Posts
That really made a mess, what colour are you planning on painting it?

·
Slowly but surely
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That really made a mess, what colour are you planning on painting it?
It's going to stay grey, but with a matt black hood/wing tops/scuttle and white number roundels. Would consider a swap to a satin blue, such as the one in the pic above, but need to spend the money elsewhere first.

Looking forward to seeing this one being done as I really do like the Trans Am era cars. Here's a good site for inspiration

http://www.trans-amseries.com/

There's also a very good book called "The Pony Car Wars 1966-1972" by David Friedman

cheers....Nige
Thanks Nige - I hope you're not in a hurry! I'd already seen your build thread before signing up here - if mine ends up half as nice as yours I'll be happy.

Seen that site thanks and as for the book, I'm still searching for a copy... :cry:

·
Slowly but surely
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unfortunately not, Nige

Truck (which was meant / paid to be finished before it was shipped over) is still sucking up time and money.

However, it's getting close so should be able to concerntrate on Mustang in the second half of this year. Have also booked Mustang's engine builder to build the motor over Xmas/New Year, so hopefully back on road (although may not be fully finished) early 2012...

·
Slowly but surely
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gumph - has it really been 5 years..? Life has a habit of getting in the way I suppose, but I've been hoarding parts like a good un during that time, so this year may see the old girl back on the road in one form or another.

Just a quick thanks to PhilK who's sat on the short block and heads seen in this thread for the past 4 years, patiently waiting for me to get my ship together so he can build me a motor. Thanks Phil. We decided to change direction on the heads, so the GT40s will be up for sale soon (I'll be taking a bath on those no doubt..), but see below..

Another person I unfortunately should not mention is a local serviceman (and his wife and kids) who regularly receive shipments for me and store them in their house until I come to collect. You know who you are and I'm extremely grateful for your patience and generosity !!

So, I took a drive over to them today and picked up the following goodies and more besides.

AFR heads, roller rockers, etc

CSRP Disc Brake upgrade (aluminium twin pot calipers) plus V8 steering package

So, a trip to Phil's is in order to drop off the heads, and I can start work on prepping the car for the engine's arrival, including doing something with the T5 I've now got sitting in the workshop..

Hopefully the next update will be a little sooner!

·
Premium Member
14,232 Posts
those afr heads are the best you can buy, but you knew that already :tup:

·
Slowly but surely
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
those afr heads are the best you can buy, but you knew that already :tup:
Ha! I didn't, but PhilK did - said I should drop FordStrokers a line and they hooked me up. Thanks to my contact I got them shipped USPS at local rates and zero duties.. :whistle: :D

·
Slowly but surely
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looking good mate:smoke:

I'm just about to order the same front brake kit, what's your thought on it?
Thanks SS, although it's reminded me that another 18 months has gone by with zero updates.. :sniff:

Ah well, the pile of parts has grown in that time, so hopefully 2017 will see some spannering..!

The CSRP kit is really good - great company to deal with, comprehensive kit, etc, etc. I did plenty of research first and CSRP seemed to be one of the leaders - I particularly like the fact that they supply their own spindles, with revised geometry to combat bump steer.

For anyone else interested; CSRP discbrakeswap Mustang Disc Brake Conversion Kits SWAP1

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Time flies:eek:

Did you order spindles because your car was a 6 pot car, or are they lowered spindles or something? The kit I'm ordering uses the drum brake spindles. I've emailed them just to make sure i'm ordering the right thing though!

Are you doing the shelby mod?

·
Slowly but surely
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1 - 18 of 18 Posts