Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I came to this forum wanting to see "nobody" Mini build.
I like custom cars so I thought I will post my Mini project, too.

It all started with "Italian Job" whatch in Japan when I was 9 years old.
Ever since then, I wanted to build what I feel like unltimate mini by my own hand. I looked at modded A-series engine but it would cost too much moneywhich I don't have:sniff:.

Anyway, I looked around hard and found G13B Swift Gti engine which has 5 speed and 100Bhp as std. I bought myself a base car which is '68 so it will be tax free! I started to repair shell and it was year 2001.

Later on, I thought I would like to make it like Mini "Sprint".
So I used my favourite tool, Angle grinder!

I raked front screen by 12 degrees and 2" roof chop.

This is what it looked like when I moved up from Gloucester 3 years ago.

I then desided that roof looks :tdown:, so I bought roof skin and re-do it.

This is how it looks now!

This is my engine setup.

One off cylinder head!

Yamaha R1 carbs

EPS for LSD kitted gearbox!

I have done many more and changed so many times.

My wheel arches are steel trailor wheel arches welded into body shell.
My front end will be steel and either flip front or just removable with 8 screw fittings. I have twin tanks, 4 pot vented disc brakes, coil over suspension, Group A camshafts, Group A LSD, twin bike exhaust system and Webasto sunroof. I think I got many more but I will update as I go along, so if you are bored. Just come in and have a look!

Cheers
Atchi

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,

This weekend, I spent time on sunroof frame.
It was cover with rust so I used wire brash to take off rusts and used rust converter/treatment. I have now painted with Hammerlite painton top. So I hope it will last long time!

I have sarted to cut out where I want sunroof to be. This is going to be difficult due to my seat position. I have made about 12" from front screen but I need to sit down to see if I can reach it with ease.

If anyone have advice, please let me know!

Cheers
Atchi

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,

This weekend, I did following.
1. Position sunroof frame and cut out roof skin.
2. to create space, re-start G13B subframe using spare subframe I got.

Here is a pic of a new roof skin cut out for Webasto.

All I need to do now is drill 28 holes to bolt it down from inside. I'm getting my friend down south to weld stainless steel studs, since most of the studs it had are either snapped or baddly corroded.

Since I can't go any further without my metal strips for my sunroof. I have re-started to build my spare subframe. When I finish, I can either put it away, sell it or use it myself. Since my subframe I got is over engineered and complicated... :lol: .

This is during picture so there are many of bits still there which I will be cutting out when I complete.

I'm builing subframe without using a jig. So, I weld a brace or braces before I cut/mod. This way I can man handle it bit easier. The down side of this method is many cutting discs will be used....

Cheers
Atchi

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi,

I have been working on my car but not worth posting.
The work I have been doing is not very easy to see!
I took half day off work today and my girls went to friend's house so I went in to my garage for 2 hours.

Anyway, when I was moving up from Gloucester, I made quick bodge up job of many things. One of them is front bulkhead mod I did. I welded in big box for extra space and everything but I forgot to weld top bit, so it is not air tight! In order for me to have a access, I needed to cut off inner scuttle panel thingy.

Here, you can see a big gap on top of fire wall!

I'm thinking of making a scuttle panel which will cover all the way to square tube you can see. I have heritage panel but it might be diffiult to fit air vent for screen with a bulkhead mod I did.

Cheers
Atchi

·
Registered
12,559 Posts
An interesting build - nice choice of engine. I remember the Mini-Sprints or Sprinzel Minis the first time round in the '60s - fantastic! I seem to recall one of the conversions used rectangular headlamps (fair bit of bodywork needed I guess) which with the top chop and a de-seam worked really well!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi,

I know what you mean by sqaure head lights.
I think it was cibies.

I liked Sprint but I won't be able to afford one so I thought, I make one myself.
I needed to de-seam it, otherwise it will be too complecated for my level of skill!
Even though I managed to do a lot of thing to OK level. If I had 2nd chance, I will do thing differently for sure.

I had mk1 Swift Gti and it was very good engined car. It did 0-60 in 9-ish and still gave me 40mpg even you drove like you stole it! I even snapped cam belt twice... a long story! I was very lucky even though this engine would have damaged valves, but I didn't! I now have 3 engines and 4 mk1 Gti gearboxes!

One of my spare engine is turbo charged special and it will be good for [email protected] BHP! I just hope my body will be stiff enough and brakes to be capable!

Cheers
Atchi

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi,

I have managed to go in my garage for over 3 hours this weekend!

So, I have started to make both templates for the bulkhead mod and an inner scuttle panel thingy.

I started off with welding in metal into a big gap in the bulk head.

I will be welding from the other side then grind it smooth before I weld in inner scuttle panel. But I have now finished welding from inside so I'm happy!

Then I made a card board template.

Using this template, I cut out steel panel.

I will be re-using both vents but I have to move it a little due to bulk head mod I carried out. Also, panel I have made is not perfect fit as yet so I need to trim here and there!

Cheers
Atchi

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi,

I was away this weekend to N. Ireland so I didn't do any work but I managed to work on my car on Friday a little.
So, for may be 1/2hr or so. I did some grinding and painting.

I will be working on replacement inner skuttle panel next!

Cheers
Atchi

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi,

I haven't been working on my car for while due to cavity insuration installation.
It is finished today, so I can start to work on my car again.

Due to heavy rain, I haven't moved my mini back to original position. So, I can only work on something I have access to. This bonnet was right next to me!

I have taken out middle rib and inserted vent for hot air from front mounted radiator to escape. I still got a lot of welding to do on this bonnet but I have made start!

Cheers
Atchi

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi,

Today, I finsihed off my bonnet mod.
All welding was done and ground excess off.
I used GRP patty again to make it neat.

Also, I have added 3 holes for extra cooling.

I will be sanding down and prime it and store it away!
Taking long time but... I get there...

Cheers
Atchi

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi,

Due to summer holidays=family outings, I didn't quite managed to work on my car as much.

Today, I worked on car for just over 1 hour!
During the time, I cut out rusty bits and welded in new metal.

I have cut out using thin cutting disc and welded in my old door part of the spare roof skin I used.

I wish I could have gone to 16vMini gathering but too short notice by me to better half!

Cheers
Atchi

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi,

I worked on my today since I'm on reduced hour!
I had a trial fitment of front weld in wheel arches.
I have tried Driver side first.

First of all I have cut 20mm off from standard wheel arches.
Since my car is mk2, it has external hinges so I have to cut 2 A-panels per dise.
Anyway here goes.

Because I'm making it to be removal front, I needed to weld in strengthner.

I got a spot welder from Jimmy for me to do this job. So I need to finish this quickly. I already borrowed this for over 5weeks!

I hope I can drop my car onto 4 wheels so that I can start to welded for good.

Cheers
Atchi

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
That will be fun, allways fancied a quick mini, but being 6,3 and 16 stone, its a bit impractical,
about a Month ago I saw a couped mini driving across Fleet street and onto Blackfriars bridge, Yellow, deseamed, with a couped, 2 seater conversion, Chrome Wires and Model A rear lights, not my taste, and there was a suit driving it, Takes all sorts.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi,

I hope my car would look bit more ordinaly until you look carefully.

I took my shell out today and taken off the spit!
Took me long time to tidy up and so on but it is now on axle stands again.

When I tried to fit subframe, there was something in the way!

It was my EPS ready steering ruck. I have rotatedmore than 45 degrees so it is more in the wau than before.
I have to mod my suframe before I fit it to my shell for wheel arches but I have to do it sometime in the future!

Cheers
Atchi

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.